Which notebook is best for a homeschooler?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by debbhdz, Jan 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. debbhdz

debbhdz Newbie

Reputations:
    I would like my homeschooler to be mobile, but I don't want her to suffer excessive eye or ear strain. She does all her schooling by viewing DVDs. Which notebook provides sharp images and good sound? Cost and battery life are considerations as well. This will be our first notebook computer.

2. srdhkl

srdhkl Notebook Evangelist NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    I suggest the Dell Inspiron Series as Dell generally has the best looking screen's in the market.

I recommend either the Dell 8600 or Inspiron 5150. Both have excellent battery life and sharp, big screens. The 8600 is more expensive as it has some higher end parts but tends to be more mobile. The 5150 has an excellent processor and is cheaper but is also heavier than the 8600. With these computers you can pick and choose what components you would like. If images are important then you would want to look at the SXGA+ and UXGA screens, the UXGA having the sharpest resolution. As for sound, the Dell computers have decent speakers built in, but with any notebook, I would recommend attaching some external speakers.

If you want to save money and can deal with a heavier computer, I would recommend the 5150.

3. Brian

Brian Working at 486 Speed NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    As it is your first machine, I would also recomment spending extra for the longer-term warranty, unless you are inclined to do work on it yourself. Dell's also had a little quality trouble lately, so this would protect you against any issues.

Editor in Chief http://www.bargainPDA.com and http://www.SPOTstop.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.