Which Lenovo ThinkPad for Me? (E431 vs T430)

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by KtrainHurricane, Aug 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KtrainHurricane

KtrainHurricane Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    And this would not require me to sacrifice the optical drive? If so, this sounds like the best option, with the only exception that I would have to pay someone to install the new HDD for me. I wouldn't want to take the risk (or the time learning) to do this. I don't trust myself, and would probably lose everything...including my OS!

Any input on how the IdeaPad Y410P fits into this competition?

2. edit1754

edit1754 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You do not need a Quad Core processor, and you shouldn't put any focus in to what type of processor you get, without a specific need. The processor is not a general-case keystone defining aspect of how good your computer is, despite what marketing tends to imply.

3. KtrainHurricane

Reputations:
    Does the Quad Core processor not play any part in the computer's speed when multi-tasking? If not, then what exactly does it effect? Because I was under the impression that the processor + RAM is what determines how fast the computer is...

Processors aside, I am still dealing with storage size vs "real ThinkPad quality" with the T430, since it is maxed out at 500GB while the other two Lenovos can be easily had with 1 TB hard disk drives.

4. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    For your Average Joe needs (your needs aren't too demanding, honestly), the CPU doesn't matter once you get to the i3 and higher. RAM (at least 8GB) and having a SSD will have a more profound effect on your perception of performance than that CPU.

Already mentioned the "go buy your own storage drive" option...

5. KtrainHurricane

Reputations:
    I am still a little confused with the "go buy your own storage drive" option...

6. idiot101

idiot101 Down and Broken

Reputations:
    Pick up your SSD of choice from Amazon, Newegg or another retailer.

7. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Pretty much this. And here's a video I Google'd for you:

<param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/bvFEGHFo_jg?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/bvFEGHFo_jg?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width='560' height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Personally, I'd just go for a clean Windows install instead of cloning the old install; less chance of a problem.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2015
  8. KtrainHurricane

Reputations:
    Right, but this is replacing my HDD with a SSD, right? Because I do not want to give up all that storage space...

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2015
  9. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Same installation rules apply for both HDD and SSD. Just don't touch any exposed circuit board on the bottom of the HDD.

10. KtrainHurricane

Reputations:
    Ok. Thanks a ton for all your help (and the same to everyone else who has posted too)!

After much thought and consideration, I think I am just going to go with the ThinkPad Edge E431, because it seems to literally be a "happy medium" between the T-Series ThinkPad and the IdeaPad Y410P.

If any else who hasn't given their input yet wants to share last-minute thoughts, opinions, or suggestions, you are more than welcome to do so before I pull the trigger!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.