Which Lenovo ThinkPad for Me? (E431 vs T430)

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by KtrainHurricane, Aug 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    That 24GB mSATA is just a caching drive, not an actual SSD. It only speeds up your most-used programs (mainly, Windows, and probably your web browser, Office, that sort of thing), but everything else will be slowed down to HDD speeds. Besides, it is easy to replace a HDD with your own SSD after buying a laptop.

2. KtrainHurricane

KtrainHurricane Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well I "knew" I had narrowed my choice down to the two ThinkPads, but I stopped into a different TigerDirect today to see if they had anything different than the one near my house which I had been going to, and I found the Asus Q400A. Here are the specs on it:

Asus Q400A
    i7-3632QM (6M Cache, 2.2GHz w/ Turbo Boost to 3.2GHz)
    768p Screen Resolution
    720p HD Camera with Mic
    Backlit Keyboard
    8 GB DDR3
    750 GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm
    $600

This seems to beat the ThinkPads in every category basically. Obviously the T430 is available with a 900p screen, and they both offer superior build quality, but this one has a bigger hard drive and a quad-core processor and is cheaper. I'm now confused more than ever!!

3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope.

Reputations:
    You can't compare the build quality of the two. Plus, IMO, Asus warranty service is iffy at best. The Thinkpad is a far better choice.

4. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Like what Bronsky said, the build quality is apples and oranges. And it also has a low-quality display.

For $600, you could get a Dell Insprion 15R SE with a 1080p display (Dell Inspiron 15R SE with Full HD Screen for $599.99 - Laptop User Reviews). Yeah, not a 14" and the build quality still doesn't compare to a business-class laptop, but you can do much better for $600 than that Asus.

Have you checked out HP's Business Outlet? You should be able to pick up a Probook 6470b/6475b (similar to the E431) or Elitebook 8470p (similar to T430) with 900p displays and an i5 for cheap.

Hard drives are cheap and easy to replace on your own, so I usually never bother looking at the stock HDD as a factor for purchasing a laptop. And you really can't just ignore screen quality, as that is the most important aspect of any laptop... Your priorities should be the display and probably build quality as well; as said before, a modern i5 or i7 can deal with your tasks easily, especially when paired with a SSD (I'd recommend Crucial, Plextor, Samsung, or Intel SSDs only).

5. KtrainHurricane

Reputations:
    I prefer to stay away from HP; it is what I have now and it broke in a relatively short amount of time. I have also read many negative things about HP's build quality.

As far as upgrading to a bigger HDD - the problem with this comes back to the fact that I am "computer illiterate." I wouldn't know where to start when it came to doing a task like that. Wouldn't I have to save everything (such as the OS and other programs) onto an external drive, then load them into the new HDD on my computer? If so, I don't have an external drive either...so that would be even more money to buy one. I wouldn't trust myself with that task.

6. KtrainHurricane

Reputations:
    And as far as the screen resolution - going with the cheaper Asus would leave me enough money left over to buy a nice 21"-24" 1080p monitor to use.

It looks like my decision is going to come down to:

Lenovo: better build quality, better support/warranty, slower dual-core processor, smaller HDD

vs.

Asus: faster quad-core processor, bigger HDD, cheaper

7. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    There's a big difference between HP Home and HP Business; couple of my family members have older Pavilions and I know how bad those are, though my sister's Elitebook is rock solid.

Screen resolution man... :p

8. KtrainHurricane

Reputations:
    I guess I will go ahead and be difficult again, and throw the Lenovo Y410P into the mix (the more research I do, the more options I discover!). It seems to have all the features I want (quad-core i7 processor, HD+ screen, 1 TB hard disk drive + 24 GB cache), and is in the same ballpark price as the other two...I can get this for $850 brand new.

Seems like I would just be sacrificing the "ThinkPad quality" for everything else...worth it?

9. KtrainHurricane

Reputations:
    According to what I've read, the 500 GB hard disk drive that comes in the ThinkPad laptops is the largest that can be had without adding an additional in place of the optical drive...which is not an option, since I use that to load music into my Itunes, and to watch movies I have on discs.

10. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    That might be the largest HDD that Lenovo will sell with the notebook, but any 2.5", 9.5mm HDD or SSD will work with that laptop. There are 1TB laptop HDDs that you can buy aftermarket.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.