Which Lenovo ThinkPad for Me? (E431 vs T430)

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by KtrainHurricane, Aug 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KtrainHurricane

KtrainHurricane Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    After doing some more research and thinking it over for awhile, I have narrowed down my search specifically to the Refurbished T430 and the E431. Here is a Pros vs. Cons list I made for the two:

Refurbished T430
    + "Real" ThinkPad construction quality
    + 900p screen
    + Backlit Keyboard
    - Dual-core processor

E431
    + Quad-core processor
    + Brand new
    - 768p screen

All opinions are encouraged and are greatly appreciated!!!

2. wobble987

wobble987 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    T430 hands down.

3. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Yeah, T430 is an easy winner in my book, even if all we're looking at is the display (pun intended).

4. KtrainHurricane

Reputations:
    Why?

Just because of the display, or are there other reasons?

I am just afraid that I will regret not going with quad-core i7. We all know that technology doesn't last, so I can't help but think that I should go with the most powerful available thing out there right now, in order to somewhat "future-proof" as much as possible since I don't intend on wanting/having to upgrade within 4-5 years or so at least (that is the goal, anyway).

5. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Well, that and the build quality. CPU performance across the board has improve considerable over the past few years, and I don't think you'd really notice the difference between the dual i5 and quad i7, given your usage. However, you *will* notice the difference in displays, since you will be using that every day and will definitely be paying attention to it (due to it being the primary interface between you and the computer). If you're worried about not having a quad, why not consider the T530? It's not that much bigger, from my judgment of comparing my W520 to a friend's T420 (they have the same bodies as the T530 and T430, respectively).

There's no such thing as "future-proofing". Anyway, what CPUs have you used before? If you've been using two/three generations old CPU tech (something like the first-gen i series or Core 2 Duo), I'd imagine that you'd be surprised by the Ivy i5s.

6. KtrainHurricane

Reputations:
    I have only had 2 computers before - an Acer tablet (with swivel screen) from around 2004, and my current laptop (which recently broke, hence me needing a new one) is an HP G60. Not sure what the specs of this one are, but it has Windows Vista and the Intel sticker says "Pentium inside."

According to the Lenovo website, the T530 processor is maxed out with the i7-3520M as well...

7. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    I'm pretty sure you can get a -QM (quad-core) i7 in a T530... I know that it was definitely an option for the T520.

Pentiums are a pretty low-end CPU range, and an i5 will be a significant step forward in performance, even in the same generation (Ivy Pentium and Ivy i5, for example). Sure, a quad i7 will be somewhat more powerful than the i5, but the i5 is a massive leap over a Pentium CPU.

8. KtrainHurricane

Reputations:
    I would like to add that I was on a friend's new HP last night, which was equipped with an i5 processor. We opened a folder that had a bunch (about 750) photos that were transferred over from her Iphone, as well as 50-100 video clips (<1 min. in length) and it took FOREVER for the thumbnails to load. Situations like these are what I would like to avoid...would the i7 show improvement in this respect?

9. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    That's more of a problem of her having a mechanical hard drive instead of a *much* faster solid-state drive. Loading times are usually a problem that storage systems, like HDDs and SSDs, are concerned about, and the CPU will be limited by the storage drive.

10. KtrainHurricane

Reputations:
    So in that case does it put a +1 in favor of the E431 since is is available with a 24GB micro SSD, and/or a 1 TB HDD?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.