Which Lenovo ThinkPad for Me? (E431 vs T430)

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by KtrainHurricane, Aug 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KtrainHurricane

KtrainHurricane Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    After much research and thought, I have narrowed down my new laptop choice to one of these two models. I will primarily be using this as a "desktop," but will also be taking it to school with me 3-4 days per week. In addition, I will bring it on trips/airplane when I travel to watch movies as well, maybe 5-10 times per year.

My main concerns are being able to run several programs at once, without the computer slowing down. Considering the OS and antivirus, I often also download music and movies through torrents or Frostwire, surf the web, talk on Skype, load songs into my Ipod through Itunes, all while watching a movie in the background.

I have narrowed my choice down to a refurbishedT430, a brand new IdeaPad Y410P, and a new ThinkPad Edge 431. Here are the configurations for each, and the price I can get them at:

Refurbisehd T430
    i7-3520 (4M Cache, 2.9GHz w/ Turbo Boost to 3.60GHz)
    1600x900 Resolution
    720p HD Camera with Mic
    UltraNav Keyboard (Backlit) w/ Fingerprint Reader
    8 GB DDR3
    500 GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm
    Bluetooth
    9-cell battery
    Full 1-year Lenovo warranty (until Aug 2014)
    for $800

IdeaPad Y410P
    i7-4700MQ (2.4GHz 1600MHz 6MB)
    1600x900 Resolution
    720p HD Camera with Mic
    Premium JBL speakers
    AccuType Keyboard (Backlit)
    8 GB DDR3L
    1 TB Hard Disk Drive, 5400 + 24GB SSD
    Bluetooth
    6-cell battery
    $850

E431
    i7-3632QM (6M Cache, 2.20 GHz)
    Windows 8
    14W HD Antiglare Display (768 matte I believe, but not specified)
    8 GB DDR3L – 1600MHz (2 DIMM)
    Fingerprint Reader
    720p HD Camera with Microphone
    500GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm
    Micro Hard Drive: 24 GB NGFF SSD
    6 cell Li-Ion Battery 62WH – 75+
    $805.56

^And I can get the same configuration but with no SSD and 1 TB Hard Disk Drive @ 5400rpm instead for $847.56
    *(HOW DO THEY COMPARE?)*

2. boyyoyo

boyyoyo Newbie

Reputations:
    Point blank, the i7's are designed with multi tasking/ hyper-threading in mind. IN the earlier sandy-bridges the i5 was, in some cases, better than the i7's; however, from what I know, they pretty well fixed those issues with the ivy bridge and even later sandy bridges. So based on that, I would probably go with the E431, if you're dead set on one of those two for multitasking.

So you posted all the alt option, and you mentioned that $1k is too expensive, what's your range?

On a benchmarking note, passmark has the E431's CPU ranked at 102(overall commercially available cpus) and the T430's ranking in at 273 (over all).

So while the T430 has a better battery ( you typically can buy after market, extended batteries, if you need longer life), it mostly looses, or ties, in the other respects and costs more too.

3. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    ^^^ You're forgetting that the T430 is built *much* better than the E431 and that the T series is supported by IBM, not Lenovo, so that's where your extra costs are going. Now, whether that is important to OP is their choice.

Though personally, if these are the only two choices, I'd go with the T430 simply because of the better display (900p vs 768p). An i5 should be able to handle all of those tasks well enough; I've done basically the same thing on my desktop back when it had a Pentium G630, and that's quite a lot weaker than the i5-3320M.

4. Jobine

Jobine Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Edge is basically an Ideapad with TP branding. Not that it is bad, but the build quality if *far* lower than what you will find on the T series. Edge does not have all the ThinkVantage technologies and MILSPEC.

And i agree with Jarhead.

5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope.

Reputations:
    T430 is the better system. With your power concerns, the full powered, dual core Ivy Bridge I7 will do all the things you need and have enough power left over to run the International Space Station.:cool:

6. KtrainHurricane

Reputations:
    Thanks for all the replies so far!

My Max budget is $1,000. I know the last T430 I configured barely passes that mark, but I would already be stretching quite a bit to spend $1,000 in the first place.

In those rankings, lower is better, right? I understand the quad-core i7 of the E431 is a better processor, but I don't know how much better it is over the dual-core i5 or i7.

The screen is a huge factor that is making this a tough decision for me. While it is not the most important thing, I have read enough reviews and write-ups that say the 900p is a must. And you mention the T430 with an i5 - but remember I can also get it with an i7. Are you recommending I get i5 instead? With or without the mSATA solid state chache drive?

"Full powered" meaning i7 with the mSATA solid state cache drive? If so, how do you think I would manage with going i5 and the SSD, or i7 without the SSD (since i7 + SSD = over my budget)?

7. oelkstul

oelkstul Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I don't think that the upgrade to i7 dual core is worth the extra money for your needs. The i5 should be fast enough, although you could think about buying the i5-3380M.
    I'd go for the i5 t430 and buy a ssd for after market upgrade if thats something you would be willing to install yourself.

8. KtrainHurricane

Reputations:
    Not interested in upgrading anything myself (as I am computer illiterate, Lol!). I want to go with whatever option will last me for awhile...4 years or so at least. I don't want to have to worry about "needing" to upgrade in the future, or having everything slow down over time.

Are you recommending I go with one of the i5 processors and the mSATA drive? Or just the i5 on its own would be enough?

9. oelkstul

oelkstul Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I have no experience using a cache drive, but the reports i have seen where enthusiastic. personally, i'd go with the refreshed i5 and msata drive.

Well, who can say how these machines (either) will measure up in a couple of years :)

10. KtrainHurricane

Reputations:
    For what it's worth, I am also able to get a Refurbished T430 with the following specs:

i7-3520 (4M Cache, 2.9GHz w/ Turbo Boost to 3.60GHz)
    1600x900 Resolution
    720p HD Camera with Mic
    UltraNav Keyboard (Backlit) w/ Fingerprint Reader
    8 GB DDR3
    500 GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm
    Bluetooth
    9-cell battery
    Full 1-year Lenovo warranty (until Aug 2014)
    for $800

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.