Which Laptop should I buy?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by rokyslash, May 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rokyslash

rokyslash Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    First of all, hello everyone, I am new to this forum.

I am thinking of buying a new Laptop and my budget is $1000. I am a college student, however I plan to use my laptop for gaming and doing some graphics rendering in software like blender and maya and also for some video editing work. I am not a heavy user of modern touch screen technology like in phones etc. But I still wanted to see if I could buy a 2 in 1 for my needs. These are the 3 options that I have right now.

1. Get a gaming laptop for $1000 that takes care of all my high tech needs like gaming and doing heavy graphics related work.
    2. Get a 2 in 1 (but since my main use is as a laptop, I need at least 15 inch screen sized laptop).
    3. Get a laptop which is not so high tech as the first one, but it will have a touch interface and it will be fun to use, but doing so, I will obviously not get as much computer juice I want for the money, rather the money is more spent on luxurious things like touch interface etc. This is kinda a trade off between first option and third option.

So I haven't decided on which of these 3 options is the best for me so it would be great if you get recommend me Laptops for each category. The main criteria is that my budget will not exceed $1000. Also these are some of my ideas about my dream system.

Hard Disk: I am not interested in SSDs, I'd rather have a 7200rpm or even 5400rpm traditional Hard drive of size 1 TB

RAM : 8 GB or 16 GB

Processor : i7 (5th or 6th generation)

Screen: 15 inch or more, with HD or more resolution

Graphic Card: No integrated chip. Any dedicated card with at least 2GB video memory

and finally optional things :

Touch : if possible

Tablet mode : 2 in 1 ability if possible

So are there any laptops that you would recommend that come close to my specifications and needs?

Thanks

2. Endbuster

Endbuster Newbie

Reputations:
    Could you possibly use a pad in conjunction to alleviate the necessity of touch?

3. rokyslash

Reputations:
    I was thinking of getting as much functionality as possible since I am spending $1000. Would that be a bad idea? Should I try to go for more "computer power" for my money instead of going for stuff like touch screens and tablet modes?

Thanks.

4. Endbuster

Endbuster Newbie

Reputations:
    Bells and whistles are cool, but at the end of the day they are just bells and whistles. I dunno about you but the novelty of having a 15 inch laptop with a convertible tablet display is going to wear off real quick. If you have the space nothing beats a mouse and keyboard. Hell even mouse pads aren't that hard to use.

I would honestly consider using a tablet AS and tablet, not as a PC. And purchase accordingly.

It seems like you want a nice powerful laptop that is going to be able to play games and function as a desktop. Just go with something like that. If you want tablet stuff get a used iPad or a drawing tablet that you can hook up to your lappy.

Jarhead likes this.
  5. rokyslash

Reputations:
    What about I ditch the idea of a 2 in 1 and go for a gaming laptop which has a touch screen only and has no ability as a convertible? Would that be the same situation as you mentioned or would that be a tradeoff between a PC only machine and a 2 in 1?

Thanks

6. Tmets

Tmets De-evolving to Amoeba

Reputations:
    Do you actually need a touch screen? You seem to want it only because it sounds like a good thing rather than because of any specific need. It certainly isn't a necessity, or really that useful in a laptop for most people. It isn't, as you seen to assume, a luxury addition. It's just another way of interacting with the laptop.

Jarhead likes this.
  7. rokyslash

Reputations:
    Haha yeah, that's exactly true though. I was just hoping for a touch screen because it seems like a luxury. I don't use touch screens much, even smartphones. So now I have decided to go for a gaming Laptop only under $1000. Do you have any recommendations and good deals so that I can get the best gaming laptop for that money?

8. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    Technically, the best value is the Dell Inspiron 7559 with a quad core i5 and a 960m for 800 bucks, but it has 256gb of ssd storage. There are some other models in the vicinity, check this out:

Last edited: May 15, 2016
  9. rokyslash

Reputations:
    I was looking at asus q553ub. What do you think about it when compared to laptops mentioned in the video link you gave?

Here are the specs for asus q553ub.
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-2-...lack/4777104.p?id=1219819879763&skuId=4777104

Thanks.

10. Tmets

Tmets De-evolving to Amoeba

Reputations:
    It's not a gaming laptop. A weak GPU and ULV CPU won't help you much. If you want performance, you will have ditch the idea of getting a 2-1 type device.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.