which laptop should I buy?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by liverkick, Oct 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. liverkick

liverkick Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Which one of these sagers should I buy?

I can get the 8278/8298 for about 2k with what I want and the np9377 for about 2800-3000 with what I want, which one is better (which one is more future proof, which one is easier to upgrade? Which one is more powerful and more reliable?)

Also is sli 980m's worth the extra money vs the sli 970m's?

Also is there anything comparable to these for a similar pricing?? Also interested in the asus g751

ALSO.. would it be possible to order maybe a single 980m in the p377 and buy a second 980m in a few months? same thing with cpu, could i get 4810mx and upgrade it to a 9840mx(?) later on?:confused:

Thanks!:thumbsup:

2. Tmets

Tmets De-evolving to Amoeba

Reputations:
    The P170 and P177 are essentially the same performance wise, just a different chassis. The P377 will be the same performance with the same components. All of them can be upgraded to an extent, you can upgrade the CPU to another Haswell, not necessarily anything higher, and the GPU can be upgraded as long as there is no whitelisting issue, and the mxm standard is compatible. Upgrading is easy with any of them. The difference is clearly that you have the extra GPU in the P377. You could buy with one GPU, then add another, but you would be not be getting 2x the performance, SLI is not 100% efficient. The 980m is likely to be around $700-800 on it's own, so it's up to you if it's worth it. The higher end CPUs are also pretty pricey, so again, you would have to see if it's worth it. Games are not that CPU dependant on the most part, so it would seem a pointless upgrade.

3. WARDOZER9

WARDOZER9 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If all you're doing is typing up spreadsheets, I'm pretty sure you don't need dual GPU's, otherwise known as "How can we help you decide what/how many GPU's you need if you don't tell us what you plan on doing/playing on the laptop FFS?"

4. liverkick

Reputations:
    Thanks for a detailed response

So about the gpu's, I know a 980m is significantly more pricey than a 970m but I want at least 980m performance or above, not necessarily right away so I'm wondering if I can get a single 970m and add a second 970m later on when I make more money? Same with the processor, could I get the 4810 which is the second from the lowest possible CPU on xotic and if I decide I need more performance later on, upgrade to a top tier CPU ( isn't it the 4940 or 4840 or something? )

What is whitelisting?

On the efficiency issue, I know it's not double performance but it is an upgrade, 970m dual sli beats a 980m from the bench marks I've read, I think they even best a 970 desktop card.

And some of the games I play have been CPU bottlenecked on my desktop 3.5 ghz i7, like Rome total war/dawn of war 1 etc./spawning hundreds of npc's in Gary's mod/skyrim/fallout the fps dips significantly, I want a processor that can handle hundreds of ai's in game (is that feasible?)

5. liverkick

Reputations:
    If I was doing spreadsheets I would use an ultra book. Obviously I will be doing CPU/gpu intensive stuff with a laptop like this.

I would be doing light/medium video editing, lots of .rar extractions and compressions, lots of copying and pasting large 3gb+ files, and mainly fairly heavy gaming. Fallout's/skyrim/payday2/CSS/crysis/gta 5 when released/dawn of war 1 & 2, every total war game. I also mod my games to have the highest resolution textured available.

I need an introduction to screens, I know it's 1920x1080 on these, but what is a 4k screen? And is it possible to buy a 4k LCD replacement later on that is compatible with these laptops? I don't even know what 4k is but I want it.. Isn't it higher than 1080p?

6. liverkick

Reputations:
    Also what's the deal with the hdd/ssd slots? How many does each version have? I'm somewhat confuse by the jargon like eSata this and that on the different options on xotic/sager.com like the part about replacing optical drive with another hdd caddy or something?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.