Which laptop out of these

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by deanovip, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The notebook gets REALLY hot. In terms of performance it isn't bad, it has an I7 and a GTX 1060, but due to it being so thin it actually gets pretty hot, and I don't mean it gets hot to the point where it goes throttle mode, which is good, but the case actually gets hot and gets up to 47.6c on the keyboard, which isn't particulary great, your fingers will be sweaty most of the time.

2. don_svetlio

don_svetlio Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Now that's just a flat out lie. You're making it sound like a Razer Blade 14. In reality, the area which DOES get warm is above the heatsinks. He'll never be touching that so the whole point is moot. As for internal temps, with an undervolt he should be getting mid 80s which is perfectly fine.

Aroc likes this.
  3. Nauzhror

Nauzhror Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Notebookchecks review shows the keyboard reaching 49 C. But that's after a hour of Prime 95 and Furmark. There's no reason to believe it'd approach those temps in regular usage, even gaming or photoshop are never going to push temps anywhere near that high.

Aroc and don_svetlio like this.
  4. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    Exactly - that's after a whole hour of torture testing. In reality it never gets as hot.

Aroc likes this.
  5. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    On idle the notebook has 35.4 °C on the keyboard, which you also can see on notebookcheck. So getting around 40s under normal gaming is normal on that notebook, whcih really isn't comfortable at all.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-ROG-Strix-GL502VM-Notebook-Review.187341.0.html
    *idle tab

6. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    I'd like to call BS on that. As someone actually owns the last gen model (same design, same TDP components) - the keyboard at idle is 25*C at most.

Aroc likes this.
  7. Presler915

Presler915 Newbie

Reputations:
    I've recently bought a basic model GL502VM with an i5-6300HQ and GTX1060 for €1080, which will usually get you a i5/7 Kaby Lake laptop with 1050Ti and HDD or 256GB SSD. The i7 model of the GL was another €310 extra, but it also came with 128 GB SSD for the system. Heck even the FX502VM with an i7-7700HQ but otherwise same specs costs €230 more than my GL and it has that horrible TN screen.

The keyboard gets a bit warmer during idle around the right shift and right palm rest, that's where the GPU and HDD are and it's one of the downsides of not having a switchable graphics. On the other hand MSI GE62 has Optimus, bad battery life and a warm keyboard as well. During gaming it certainly isn't
    50 °C or 60 °C hot. I didn't even see the temperatures on both the GPU or CPU go past 75 °C, but I only played WoW: Legion, World of Tanks and some lighter games and I used the Asus ROG app to check the temperatures (which means alt tabbing out of the game so the real temperatures could be higher). I haven't done any undervolting yet. If you want a cool laptop for similar price as the GL502, there is only a Predator 17 (that is if you don't care about CPU temps, the GPU temp is awesome though).

What's annoying is the ever spinning fans, most of the time you don't hear it because of the music in the background or other stuff, but in a quiet room it is audible. I wonder if that is really needed as both the CPU and GPU are below 50 °C.

I had some SW problems, the day after the purchase the G-Sync disappeared from nVidia control panel and after restart the whole control panel was gone and refused to start. Had to do a complete GPU driver reinstallation. Also after coming from sleep, the laptop screen remained black even though the system was already running, one Windows update later and the issue is gone.

8. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    Do the fans really spin constantly? Mine tend to stop spinning under 30*C (though I do live in a 20*C room :D)

9. jrwingate6

jrwingate6 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Damn. You live in a 68 degree environment? That's way too cold for my blood. In the summer, I keep my thermostat on 73 and in the winter, I keep it at 75.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

10. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    That's what I have my AC set to in the summer and in Winter I rare use it so I actually live in a 18-20*C environment :D (welcome to Eastern Europe, comrade)

Vistar Shook likes this.