Which laptop or notebook is good to replace Sony Vaio VPCZ13M9E/B?

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Paloseco, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Paloseco

Paloseco Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The problem with Optimus is that it's much more difficult to get linux drivers working (I've tested ubuntu and only the Intel GPU works by default). You can enable the nVidia 960m but there may be graphical issues and better wait for it to be fixed.

For the XPS 9560 it's quite more expensive, and I wish it had at least 2 Thunderbolt 3 ports with 4 PCI lanes each, so would be better to use external GPUs or graphics amplifiers. Or even have USB-C only ports like the newest Macbook Pro. In the future, everything will be USB-C/Thunderbolt: smartphones, hard drives, pendrives, printers, etc. Even TVs and monitors probably will all drop HDMI, VGA, DVI and Displayport to use only USB-C. Even network PLCs may drop the RJ45 adapter for the USB-C also. If not, a hub like the QacQoc GN30H just meets all requirements.

Hope the newer models XPS 9570 and XPS 9370 with 8th generation Intel processors (Coffee Lake) finally use only Thunderbolt connectors a lot of PCI lanes.

2. anytimer

anytimer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Do check out the Dell XPS series. With the ultra thin bezel, they've managed to put a 15" screen into a laptop that's sized like a 14". They have Intel graphics versions too, so if you don't need the discrete graphics, these are a lot cheaper and have terrific battery life.
    Prices suck! My dream machine is touching $3k. GOT to rob a bank soon. I'm hoping the prices will come down a bit for the older models once the latest offerings hit the shelves. Fingers crossed.