1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Which Laptop is the Best? It's my first Computer.

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by emaceman35, Jan 14, 2009.

?

Which would you buy if you were me?

1. The Gateway m-1629

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. HP dv5z Series

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emaceman35

emaceman35 Newbie

am having trouble choosing a laptop. I wanted a laptop that was super fast and could handle intense multimedia use (i.e. gaming, graphic art, photoshop, 3d animation, video editing, cs4, WoW, you name it!) I decided on a GATEWAY, but I've had it for like a week and it is not as fast as I thought it'd be (it cost like 600 bucks and it's refurbished). I've been looking around and came across an Hp dv5z series. It's brand new and I kinda like the specs compared to the Gateway. What do you think? Please give plenty of info on : Graphics Cards (can it handle current games? etc..

I don't want to spend more than like $650 or so.

Gateway:
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/...

HP dv5z Series– Onyx
    – Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (64-bit)
    – AMD Athlon(TM) X2 Dual-Core Processor for Notebook PCs QL-62 (2.0GHz)
    – 15.4" diagonal WXGA High-Definition HP BrightView Widescreen Display (1280 x 800)
    – FREE Upgrade to 3GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm) from 2GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)!!
    – ATI Radeon(TM) HD 3200 Graphics
    – FREE Upgrade to 250GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
    – Webcam Only
    – HP Color Matching Keyboard
    – Wireless-G Card
    – No Modem
    – SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support
    – No TV Tuner w/remote control
    – 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
    – Microsoft(R) Works 9.0
    – HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope

ALL FOR $599

*For the "ATI Radeon(TM) HD 3200 Graphics", i have the option of getting a "256MB ATI Radeon(TM) HD 3450 Graphics" ($100 more on price) or a "512MB ATI Radeon(TM) HD 3650 Graphics" ($200 more on price).

***I'm looking for a computer similar to the GATEWAY I originally bought. But a little better.

2. EnterKnight

EnterKnight Notebook Evangelist

Please fill in the FAQ, and maybe we'll have some alternatives... :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.