1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Which laptop is good for a non-gamer?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by ValoryHope, May 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ValoryHope

ValoryHope Newbie

Reputations:
    Most product reviews seem to emphasize that laptop's suitability for gaming. However, what I want to do is basic word processing (writing, editing, etc.), surfing the Internet, watching movies, and listening to music. Possibly some photo editing, but no gaming at all.

It's important that it be compact enough to use on my lap, when I'm curled up on the couch or in bed, and I'm concerned that a screen of 15 inches or more would make it unwieldy. Am I wrong about this?

For the same reason (lap comfort), I'm concerned about a computer that gets very hot.

I expect to pay somewhere between $1,000 and $2,000.

All recommendations & advice are much appreciated!!!

2. Vedya

Vedya There Is No Substitute...

Reputations:
    As long as you dont travel a lot, a 17incher will be OK for you. However, Laptops are not meant to be used in your lap (ironic isnt it?). ITs not good for the laptop nor your body, ;)

Furthermore, Look at the

a)Dell Vostro
    b)HP pavilion line
    c)Lenovo Y series, T series, R series

3. sirmetman

sirmetman Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The recommendations that will come will be the smaller Vostros (13XX, 14XX) and probably the IBMs (T line, maybe Y). Since you won't game at all, you'll want an IGP (integrated graphics processor). Personally, I recommend getting as high a resolution as humanly possible for the size screen you want, but that is personal preference. I'd also suggest you fill out the FAQ and post it back here.

Edit: grrr, he beat me.

4. Nirvana

Nirvana Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    i read couple reviews of Lenovo Y710 last night, it looks and built amazing.

5. Ayle

Ayle Trailblazer

Reputations:
    Anything with a x3100 is good.

6. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Almost any new laptop is going to handle those tasks well.

Screen size is really a personal preference. What works for me may not for you. You should probably go to a store and look at some to see what you like better.

I’m thinking you can get a very nice laptop, which more than meets your needs, for less than $1,000. You may wish to consider the FAQ and post back. Good Luck.