which laptop do you recommend?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by impzee, Feb 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. impzee

impzee Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys, im new to this forum so please correct me if the post belongs somewhere else.

I newly received the Asus zenbook pro 14" (ux480), im quite happy with it but the display is not the brightest. Ive been looking at the Huawei matebook x pro i7, the specifications are quite similar to the zenbook but the display and the battery seems to be better?

The huawei is abot 300 euros more than the asus, what do you guys think? worth it?
    I`m planning on using the laptop for text-writing, internet browsing, movies/media, but i want a laptop that will last a long time, and with a good display.

huawei
    i7-8550U. 1,80
    16gb RAM 2133 LPDDR3
    Nvidia GeForce MX 150
    Dolby Atmos sound
    display: 3000 x 2000. 500 cd/m². touch.

asus:
    i7-8565U. 1,80
    16gb RAM 2400 DDR4
    GTX 1050 Max-Q
    Harman/kardon sound
    display: 1920 x 1080. 300 cd/m².

2. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    It's really going to be up to you on if it's worth it or not. The Asus has a better GPU but it sounds like you don't have any real plans to use it. The display on the Huawei looks amazing and like you said, is substantially brighter. Battery life is supposed to be amazing on it too. If you can get the i5 version of the Huawei then that would probably be the way to go (assuming it comes with the same screen) since the cooling isn't good enough to make the i7 perform any faster than the i5.

ALLurGroceries and toughasnails like this.
  3. impzee

impzee Newbie

Reputations:
    I read a review on notebookcheck that also states the same, and that the cpu performance could not beat the cheaper Intel Core i5-8250U and that GPU performance is below average as well, however the i7 version has 500gb ssd and 16gb RAM. The i7 version also has a different display, and according to that website has about 100 cd/m² more brightness than the i5-version. However, the i7 version costs a lot more than the i5-version...

I usually have a round 10 websites opened at the same time, and spotify, word, other programs in the background, im not really sure if i need 16gb memory tho, any thoughts?

I have tried finding an extensive review of the Asus ux480 without luck unfortunately..

review of the i7 huawei: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Huawei-MateBook-X-Pro-i7-8550U-MX150-Laptop-Review.323906.0.html

4. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    What a shame they don't offer more options and that the screens are different. You would likely be ok with 8GB of ram, but my guess is that it's soldered to the board. If you're looking to get a few years out of it, it may be worthwhile to get the i7 version just for the bigger SSD/more ram. I would at least open up all of the programs you think you may use and some extras (more tabs, etc) and see where you are at memory usage wise right now on your ASUS. Chances are in a couple of years that memory usage will go up by a couple gigs or more.

Here is the NBC review of the i5 version:
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/Huawei-Matebook-X-Pro-i5-8250U-MX150-Laptop-Review.303146.0.html

ALLurGroceries likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.