Which is the best thermal pad for GPU

Discussion in 'Notebook Cosmetic Modifications and Custom Builds' started by MrSatan, Jun 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. unphoto

unphoto Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Revisit!

So , i am having some minor heat issues and i would like to use the best thermal pads that are available.
    Like the Englishman before me, ordering this specific type will be bothersome....but that aside...

I have a 920XM and 680M in My M17x R2 and the heatsink is not accepting the 100W+ output from GPU.
    Unfortunatly there are a multitude of height clearances so i need to have an effective solution.

Will 0,5 work if i just stack it or will the the softer compound be more effective?

2. woodzstack

woodzstack Alezka Computers , Official Clevo reseller.

Reputations:
    okay, hold onto to something now . . .

those pads, and Ive used them for over a year now, are waaaaay better then any thermal paste your going to get. Not joking.

even tx-4 is only 6ish W/mK and its better then diamond IC which is at 5.8 and AC5 which is at 5.1 etc ish

though these pads, actually run more like 7-8 W/mK and not 17 because even on a small mobile cpu, theres only so much heat per inch etc.. but, it would stand up to about a cpu giving off 300watts of heat. say desktop... but its OP for laptops.. though you want the best, get the pads.

This is why OEMs use pads on the cpu and everything else, because they can get 3m pads with like 6W/mK (which react anywhere inbetween 4-5W/mK in practice) for REAL cheap!

3. woodzstack

woodzstack Alezka Computers , Official Clevo reseller.

Reputations:
    you might need lil' copper spacers and then pads..

anyways, on pg25 of fujipoly's catalogue you can see all their thermal pwper, some with aluminium bases some that shrink and various thickness's and theres like 10 that are 17W/mK btu
    or get 1.5mm thickness, or fold it if it needs it

4. unphoto

unphoto Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  5. EternalWorth

EternalWorth Newbie

Reputations:
    Obviously you guys are far more learn-ed than I on graphics cards & heat. So, what would you say to this? User has Dell Precision m6600, i7-2720QM, 32GB RAM, Windows 7 Pro, 64bit, came w/ FirePro M8900 graphics. Upgraded to M6100 & used some squares from a thermal pad that came w/ the M6100, even put one on the GPU. User notices that card heats immediately from 60 degrees Celsius to 90 degrees & climbing when a video is opened in Windows Media Player, any kind of graphics-laden page is opened...like Toggl's main site w/ the jumping cat, for instance...& any game like Crysis or Battlefield 3 is opened. Their vendor sent the M6100 w/ one big thermal pad covering the VRAM's & all "raised squares" on the card. User cut it into pieces to cover the specific size of each VRAM & re-purposed some of the M8900 pads on the M6100. Is some IC Diamond 7 Carat on the GPU alone going to solve this problem? Or do they need to cover every single "raised square" of silver or black color on this card? Or should they have just left the whole top portion of the card covered in the light blue/green thermal pad they were sent? Thank you guys profusely!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.