1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Which is the best thermal pad for GPU

Discussion in 'Notebook Cosmetic Modifications and Custom Builds' started by MrSatan, Jun 8, 2012.

1. MrSatan

MrSatan Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I often clean laptops from the inside and take out and clean the heatsink and I have to change the gpu thermal pad. Which is the best kind that gives better cooling heat transfer etc? Also which thickness is better? Is it ok or better to use a 1.5 or 2.0mm pad on a gpu that used to have a 1mm pad? There's so many of them but i don't want to get cheap ones that will not cool efficiently.Also is AS5 the best thermal paste? is there a superior one?

2. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    I like ICD better than AS5. Its not conductive and it works well when you add thickness, where as AS5 works better the thinner you can get it.

3. MrSatan

MrSatan Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Does it lower the temps better than AS5?

4. Thaenatos

Thaenatos Zero Cool

Reputations:
    As5 is great but cure times are pretty long. Really most top end pastes will work about the same if applied correctly.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

5. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    I did AS5 on my Asus G73 GPU and it lowered the temps over the original paste. But after about 6 months I switched it for the ICD and it seemed to drop the temp a few more degrees.

I have also used it to replace thermal pads in some Dell Latitudes, it worked great there as well.

6. MrSatan

MrSatan Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Been reading about it now and it seems pretty good lot of people say its better than AS5. I will order it once my AS5 supply runs out.

7. baii

baii Sone

Reputations:
    The answer to this question pretty much always end up between PK-1 or ICD.

Personally, I would say get a small tube and try it unless it is outrageous more expensive.

8. MrSatan

MrSatan Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Well I found a really cheap thermal compound, 907.2 Grams for $7.55. Compare that to 1.5 Grams for $8.49. And it works just as good as ICD. Links:

Amazon.com: Innovation Cooling Diamond "7 Carat" Thermal Compound - 1.5 Grams: Computers & Accessories
    Amazon.com: Spectrum Light Canola Mayo Eggless Vegan -- 32 oz Each: Grocery & Gourmet Food
    Thermal Compound Roundup - February 2012 | Hardware Secrets

9. MrSatan

MrSatan Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I been researching and it seems like the best thermal pads are from a company called phobya there are 2 kinds 5w/mk and 7w/mk. I think the ones I'd been using were 3.2w/mk. The better one for laptops seems to be the 5w/mk because it is more flexible and compressible unlike the 7w/mk which are very hard to compress. Anyone had any experience with those?

10. __-_-_-__

__-_-_-__ God

Reputations:
    I really have great doubts that your "special" thermal paste that only costed that much works as well as ICD.

thermal pads are different and worse then thermal paste. the best thermal pads have 12w/mk.
    phobia doesn't make thermal pads, they are just a brand, the product itself is made by someone else.
    the thickness depends on the notebook model.

AS5 is conductive and nowadays there are much better, cheaper, and non eletrically conductive alternatives.

if you want something good and cheap get this:
    Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER IceFusion 40G RG-ICF-CWR2-GP Thermal Compound