Which is the best of these 5 laptops?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Korri, Jul 10, 2016.

?

Which is the best laptop out of these 5?

1. XPS 13

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. Latitude e7270

8 vote(s)
    61.5%
  3. X1 Carbon

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. X1 Yoga

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  5. Spectre X360

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Korri

Korri Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    From my school tec store, I have gotten several laptops priced out for me. I have narrowed it down to the following 5 laptops with their perspective specs listed. I am basically looking for a laptop that can handle a ton of multi-tasking/running multiple software programs at once, has a good keyboard, is light weight, durable, and portable (see below for more info). With that in mind, which laptop is the best?

Dell XPS 13
    i7-6560 U (dual core, up to 3.2GHz)
    16GB LPDDR3 RAM
    512GB PCIe SSD
    13.3" QHD+ (3200x 1800) touch display
    Windows 10 Home,-bit

Dell Latitude E7270
    i7-6600U (dual core w/hyperthreading, up to 3.4GHz)
    16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 RAM
    512GB SSD
    Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit, with recovery DVD

Lenovo X1 Carbon (4th generation)
    i7-6600U (dual core, up to 3.4GHz)
    16GB LPDDR3 RAM
    512GB SATA SSD
    14" WQHD (2560x 1440p) IPS display
    Windows 10 Home, 64-bit

Lenovo X1 Yoga
    i7-6600U (dual core, up to 3.4GHz)
    16GB LPDDR3 RAM
    512GB SATA SSD
    14" WQHD (2560x 1440p) IPS display Touchscreen
    Windows 10 Home, 64-bit

HP Spectre x360
    6th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-6500U Processor + Intel® HD Graphics 520
    16 GB onboard RAM
    512GB Flash SSD
    13.3" QHD WLED-backlit IPS Display (2560x1440) Touchscreen
    Windows 10 Home or Pro 64-bit

1) What is your budget?
    $2,500

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    a. Netbook; 10" screen or less
    b. Ultraportable; 11" - 12" screen
    c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen
    12.5" to 14" and needs to be light enough to carry around campus.

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.
    I will be buying it in Kansas, USA
    4) Are there any brands[​IMG] that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Windows
    b. Dislike:
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    I will be buying new.

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    I'm a pre-med student and will be doing lots of online research, writing lots of papers, and making presentations. I will also be using it to take notes in class using OneNote. I also have dyslexia and my new laptop needs to be powerful enough to run Dragon Naturally Speaking, txt to speech apps software, audio books, etc.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    I will be taking my laptop to class to take notes, as well as around campus to study. I will be bringing my giant Dell Precision M4500 to college as well, to use as a desk top computer.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
    I am very focused on my studies and do not play games on my computer. However, I do use apps for audio books and dragon on my computer.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    7+ hrs.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Doesn't matter

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, etc.
    Windows

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.)

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)
    I have grown up with hand-me-down computers and anything will be better than what I am currently using.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Looks are not important to me. I just need it to perform the most functions that I need it to do for my studies.

15) When are you buying this laptop?
    I will be buying my new laptop sometime before I go back to school in late August.

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
    My grandparents will be buying this laptop as a graduation present, so I would like it to last AS LONG AS POSSIBLE, as I will be saving up my money to pay for med-school.

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?
    Preferably, 512 GB or more

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner[​IMG], Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?
    I have one on my Dell Precision M4500 that I will be using as a desk top in my dorm room, so it is not essential.

Prefered laptop specs:
    i7 processor
    16+ GB RAM
    512 GB SSD
    GOOD keyboard as I write a tone of papers
    Able to handle a TON multi-tasking and multiple programs/browsers open at once
    light weight
    long batty life
    durability

I also know that I have posted on here several times. Sorry if this has become annoying to some users, but I appreciate all of your help. If someone can help me in deciding which laptop is the best out of these 5, I wont post again. Thanks for all the help!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
  2. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    You mean ton, not tone, right? ;)

My advise would be to ignore the XPS 13 and x360 since they probably won't last as long as the others in your list in terms of physical durability. That said, assuming that the Latitude has a 1080p or higher screen resolution, it's a toss-up between that and the X1 models, unless you feel like having the tablet-like display on the X1 Yoga is worth it (perhaps you can have hand-written notes in OneNote or similar application?).

Korri likes this.
  3. Kent T

Kent T Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Latitude E7270 or ThinkPad X1 Carbon. Business class, superior support and warranty, better durability, and will last longer on average.

Korri likes this.
  4. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

Reputations:
    Thinkpad X1 Yoga. Conventional laptops are yesterday - unless they come with beefy quad-core CPU and powerful dGPU, that is.

Korri likes this.
  5. Korri

Korri Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    @Jarhead
    @Kent T
    @Starlight5
    Thanks for your help and insight. I decided to compare what my school tec store quoted me with what Dell, Lenovo, or HP would charge me. I changed a few specs from what I had listed earlier to get better pricing. I had also originally taken the XPS 13 and Spectre x360 off the list after lisening to your suggestions, however, I ended up putting the Spectre x360 back on the list due to how low the price was. I now have two new questions...

1) Is there one that stands out and that you would recomend as far as performance and price?

2) With the low price of the Spectre x360, would it be better to go with it and save the money to get a new laptop in 4 yrs when I am going off to med school?

x1 Carbon
    i7-6600U dual core up to 3.4GHz
    16GB RAM
    512GB SSD
    14" screen
    1920 x 1080 FHD display
    2.6 lbs
    9hrs 6 min continuous use battery life
    3yr depot (mail laptop back) warranty
    3 yr accidental damage protection
    no touch screen
    lacks ethernet
    $1944.10

x1 Yoga
    i7-6600U dual core up to 3.4GHz
    16GB RAM
    512GB SSD
    14" screen
    1920 x 1080 FHD display
    2.8 lbs
    8hrs 38 min continuous use battery life
    3yr depot (mail laptop back) warranty
    3 yr accidental damage protection
    touch screen that can take hand written notes
    bottom runs warm (101 degrees)
    no snap in docking solutions
    no USB type c
    $2124.10

Spectre X360
    i7-6500U dual core w/ turbo boost up to 3.1GHz
    16GB RAM
    512GB SSD
    13.3" screen
    1920 x 1080 FHD display
    2.4 lbs
    8hrs 27 min continuous use battery life
    3 yr accidental damage and software warranty
    touch screen that can take hand written notes
    bottom runs warm (100-111 degrees)
    $1422.48

Also,
    @Charles P. Jefferies

@Bronsky
    @John Ratsey
    if you guys have any insight into the above question, I would love to know your thoughts as you guys have given me great insight in the past.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
  6. penguinslider

penguinslider Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Its not on your list but have you considered the Vaio Z Flip? Its a good alternative if you want something that can turn into a tablet format and has a good keyboard. What I like about it is that it covers the keyboard when in tablet mode.

$2,399
    • Windows 10 Pro
    • Intel® Core™ i7 Processor
    • Intel® Iris™ Graphics 550
    • 16GB Memory
    • 512GB PCIe SSD
    • Touchscreen
    • 8 Hours battery life
    Review video:

Starlight5 likes this.
  7. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies TG Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Unless you have a specific use for a convertible, I'd go for a traditional notebook. The X1 Carbon gets my vote. Its weight, thinness, and quality are hard to beat.
    A ThinkPad T460s will likely be less expensive. It's just a little thicker/heavier than the X1 Carbon.

Charles

Korri and Jarhead like this.
  8. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I would personally rummage through the stock of 12" / 13" machines in Dell Outlet to see if there is something which stands out as a bargain.

Also take a look at the 13" Samsung notebooks.

John

Korri likes this.
  9. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

Reputations:
    @Korri the difference between X1 Yoga and X1 Carbon is mere $170 - I believe it's a no-brainer, why limit yourself to 'just' laptop, especially if you're going to use it for years?

Regarding HP... well, the price is favorable indeed. It will be harder to maintain; if you upgrade an SSD, it will jeopardize your warranty - and 3 years stuck with just 512GB, given the amount of money you're going to throw at it, doesn't look very good to me. Again, no internal WWAN or option to add it. If you'd say this machine is for 2-3 years, these little things wouldn't be a problem, but with 5 years designated use - I believe the machine should be both well-packed initially and (more) upgrade-friendly in the long run. On the other hand, it looks really great, and if you'll part with it right before that 3-year warranty expires, why not.

Korri likes this.
  10. Krowe

Krowe Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    School tech shops aren't really that great in terms of pricing in my experience. If you can nab a sale from Dell or Lenovo, you'll get far more for your money. For example, I just picked up a top of the line Latitude E7470 for $1600.

That said, if those are your only 5 options, I'd take the E7270, because its MIL-STD-810 rated (aka it can take some abuse), plus fully upgradable (which is a good thing, cause you can pick the smallest and cheapest SSD and RAM, and put bigger ones yourself for about half the price).

That said, here are my views on the rest of them.
    1. XPS13, soldered RAM, unnecessary resolution in something that size. It also has a nice nose cam, points right up your nose when you're skyping.
    2. X1 Carbon, soldered RAM, surprisingly bad hinges, and no ethernet as you've already pointed out. But Lenovos have good keyboards.
    3. X1 Yoga, soldered RAM, great hinges, no ethernet. But Lenovos have good keyboards.
    4. Spectre X360. Yeah thats a toy. Virtually no upgradability, mushy keyboard. Plus if you get the "copper" one, you'll probably get robbed on your very first day! :D (jks)

Also, given that you're pre-med and not engineering, I'd reconsider the 16GB of RAM and 512GB SSD. I'd go with 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD, if you want more storage, buy 128GB flash drives, Samsung makes a very decent one, its $35. You should also consider the E7470, bigger brother of the 7270, I like the extra screen real estate.

One last thing is that you should probably get proper warranty. Mail in depot warranty is an absolute joke, when I was in college, it took them (not gonna list names here) over a month to fix my laptop, that's excluding shipping. Experienced this with 2 different computer manufacturers (took one slightly over a month, another over 7 weeks), if you want to deal with Indian call centers (who are poorly trained and absolutely do not care), good luck to you. Pay the extra $100-200 and get the NBD on-site ProSupport, they come to you to fix your laptop, the very next business day! Plus its a hard working American that deals with your issue from beginning to end.

pitz, Korri, Starlight5 and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.