Which is better, T5800/9600GS vs P7350/9200GS

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by ia_, Dec 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ia_

ia_ Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm trying to decide between a few comps... The main thing is I can't tell which is better: the T5800/Nvidia 9600m GS or P7350/Nvidia 9200m GS?

1. Acer Aspire AS6930-6560 NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo T5800(2.00GHz) 16" Wide XGA 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD, DVD Super Multi, NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GS, $749 New. The 16" / 7.5 pounds is kind of a minus, but I don't care too much.

2. HP Pavilion DV5-1010US 15.4" (2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo P7350 Processor, 4 B RAM, 320 B HDD, DVD Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9200M GS), $749 Refurb.

3. Asus G1Sn-X1 Refurbished Gaming Notebook PC - Intel Core 2 Duo T5550 1.83GHz, 4GB DDR2, 320GB HDD, DVDRW Lightscribe, 15.4" WXGA, Vista Home Premium 64 bit, nVidia GeForce 9500M GS, $759 Refurb.

4. Cyberpowerpc.com Xplorer X5-2900 Notebook 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo T5800, 15.4" wxga, 4gb ram, nVidia Geforce Go 9600M-GT, 320gb HDD, no O/S, won't pay return shipping if DOA, $685 New.

Any suggestions?

General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    Under $800.

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    No preferences.

5) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Wikipedia, C++, Powerpoint, Multimedia, Quakelive

6) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    It will occasionally need to function in an airport/hotel/etc decently.

7) Will you be playing games on it; if so, which games or types of games?
    Probably just Quakelive. This is the main performance thing... I'd like to find a laptop that will keep a solid 125fps (in case I want to plug laptop into a crt) in this game. For comparison, Quakelive is probably about as demanding as Teamfortress2.

8) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    Not too important, 1-3 hours.

9) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Online is cool, but cyberpowerpc.com's terrible ratings freak me out.

10) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista), Mac OS, Linux, etc.
    Doesn't matter, I'll probably just put 64-bit xp or linux on it eventually.

Screen Specifics

11) From the choices below, what screen resolutions would you prefer?

Would prefer a 75hz screen (for fps games), but don't expect to get one.

Build Quality and Design

13) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    As long as stickers stick to it I'm ok.

14) When are you buying this laptop and how long do you want this laptop to last?
    3 years or until stolen by a 12 year old on a bike, whichever comes first. >_<

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you want; 80GB to 500GB? Do you want a SSD drive?
    I'd prefer 320gb, but for a better cpu/gpu I'd take a downgrade. I've got external hard drives anyway.

2. yuio

yuio NBR Assistive Tec. Tec.

Reputations:
    the acer for specs, the HP for quality and batterylife... Asus 8600GT(decent Graphics + decent processor and generally decent quality batterylife is going to suck tho.

I would say the Asus,

On a side note I avoid acer like the black plague due to horrendous support if something ever goes wrong.

3. ia_

ia_ Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I think you mixed up the asus 9500gs with the cyberpower 9600gt. The Asus I might be able to upgrade the cpu on in a few years too... still can't decide. Cyberpower has the best deal, but I think I'm just scared of getting a DOA and being completely screwed.

4. Isend2C

Isend2C Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'd go with the Acer... my experience with their customer support hasn't been that bad... I've owned three Acers. The new ones are built very well, the old ones... not as much. I'd avoid the HP because you're going with the 9200GS... which is not a good card at all.

T7350 > T5800
    9700GS > 9600GT

5. ia_

ia_ Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Bought the Asus. It has slight lower specs than the Acer, but it's cpu can be upgraded to a T9300. The HP is selling refurbished on Amazon, and the new Acer on Newegg only has a 30day malfunction policy that doesn't include shipping. Tigerdirect also gave me free 2nd day air... woot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.