Which is Better? S & D? or SuperAntiSpyware?

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by MaXimus, Jan 2, 2009.

?

Which is better?

1. Spybot Search & Destroy

17.9%
  2. SuperAntiSpyware

82.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crash

crash NBR Assassin

Reputations:
    Ok, thanks :) So this is similar to Spybot S&D's immunization feature then, right?

2. Hep!

Hep! sees beauty in everything

Reputations:
    I don't, and it's not the only thing it blocks. But tracking cookies were all that SAS was picking up, and now with SpywareBlaster, it picks up nothing.

I hardly even use my home computer anymore for anything but gaming though anyway, so currently, I have no anti-virus, anti-spyware, or anything of the sort installed. I know what I'm doing enough to be safe :)

3. jin07

jin07 Notebook Deity NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    This isn't even a contest. SAS hands down. Now, MBAM vs SAS is a more interesting comparison.

4. Cin'

Cin' Anathema

Reputations:
    SuperAntiSpyware...this program was referred to me by 2 other peep's on the forum..when I was having issues, almost 2 months ago! :D

Worked great, still works great!

Cin ;) :)

5. fonduekid

fonduekid JSUTAONHTERBIRCKINTEHWLAL

Reputations:
    MBAM was good for me, till few months back. Then it started hanging up / crashing while doing a complete scan. Could not figure where / why it was crashing. But uninstalled it though. Just sticking with SAS for on-demand, now.

6. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Mime with Tourette's

Reputations:
    I have had problems with both MBAM and SAS, so neither is currently installed here. However, I would probably try either one of those before Spybot S&D or AdAware. I also would run GMER or HiJackThis before any of those four.

7. McGrady

McGrady Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    What kind of problems did you encounter with SAS and MBAM?

8. maiki

maiki Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I really like Spybot, been using it for years. I like the immunization feature, been using it for years, as well as scans. (I also do immunization with Spywareblaster, also free.)

The best overall malware scanner is Malwarebytes. It once cleaned an infection in my system, that nothing else (including Symantec corporate antivirus) would detect or fix. I decided to purchase the background scanner, and now have it running all the time, so I turned off the background protection of Windows Defender, which I had used for bg anti-spyware previously.

I'm not so familiar with Super-Anti-Spyware (The name is lame though. Do they think that just calling it "super" will make everyone think it's the best?),but I doubt it is as good as MBAM.

9. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Mime with Tourette's

Reputations:
    SAS and MBAM

10. Hep!

Hep! sees beauty in everything

Reputations:
    I use hijack this! religiously, but never heard of GMER before. Checked it out, looks pretty sweet! I had previously been using process explorer to discover hidden processes, threads, and system hooks/dll calls. Process explorer is invaluable and of course will stay in my toolkit, but I am going to give GMER a try.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.