Which is better, previous generation or current generation?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Datamonger, May 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Datamonger

Datamonger Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm talking about games and game systems of course. In my opinion, the previous generation (Dreamcast, Gamecube, PS2, Xbox) of game systems had some of the best stuff. Now, everything just seems the same. It's like game developers don't care about the quality of the game now, they just care about how pretty it looks. I see more entertainment value in my Gamecube than I do in my Xbox 360. No fancy system UI, no DLC, no updates, no ads, just games. And with old systems, you could mod them and not really face any penalties. Now, if you mod an Xbox 360, you run the risk of getting banned from Xbox Live because the system revolves around its online platform. I remember when playing a video game with other people involved one person and a bunch of their friends sitting in front of a TV for hours, sometimes passing around a controller. Now, we don't do that anymore. We just sit alone in our rooms and trash talk over the internet. Games today suck. 3rd - 6th Generation consoles FTW!

2. Teraforce

Teraforce Flying through life

Reputations:
    QUOTED FOR TRUTH.

Here are some reasons why I play older consoles vs. current consoles:

1. They're cheaper (duh, they're used!)

2. They're more reliable (excluding the NES, PS1 and PS2)

3. No need to "install" games. I find this to be COMPLETE BS with the current generation (mainly the PS3, not sure about the XBOX 360). Shouldn't the game disc be enough?! Yes, I know you need SOME storage for save files, but I find it ludicrous that a 20GB PS3 is only good for like 2 or 3 games.

4. Updates/DLC/online stuff. Yes, online play is fun, but not when the game is online-centered, which too many of today's games are. What if your internet connection is poor/broken, or PSN/XBOX Live goes down? Many games are worthless at that point.

5. Speaking of updates, some games are now being released that are either glitchy or are just flat-out broken out of the box, but then you can download patches to get them working (examples: MLB 2K6 for the XBOX 360, Skyrim for the PS3). I'm sorry, but when I shell out $60+ on a game disc, I expect it to work perfectly out of the box.

6. Having to wait for all the corporate logos to flash on the screen when booting a game.

7. The games in general. To say that I am sick and tired of all the Call of Duty hype is beyond an understatement. To me, it's just another FPS--and I find FPSes to be too dry and boring for me to enjoy. Yes, I realize that there's more than just the FPS genre, but the overall sense of originality and innovation just isn't there like it was in the old days.

There's hardly any difference between console gaming and PC gaming anymore these days. Not that PC gaming is bad, but nowadays, there's really no compelling reason to go for a PS3/360 over a PC. Sure, you have your exclusives on all three platforms, but beyond that....

The one and only exception today is the Nintendo Wii.... but it's graphics are underpowered, and Nintendo seems to have forgotten about the Virtual Console. If Nintendo had made the Wii just as powerful as the PS3/360 and put more effort into the online capabilities (esp. virtual console), the Wii would be a surefire winner.

3. Datamonger

Reputations:
    I completely agree with this. It seems like every FPS is just another Call of Duty, Battlefield, or Halo these days. What happened to the days when playing an FPS meant going around with some crazy weapon like a rocket launcher and blowing people up? I thing Epic Games needs to make a new Unreal Tournament. But this time, have it be more like the original.

4. darxide_sorcerer

darxide_sorcerer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    ^ you should try the Gears of War trilogy if you haven't.

5. LD1302

LD1302 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    In all fairness to Nintendo, the Wii was a surefire winner ^^ It outsold both the 360 and PS3 by a fair margin (30+ million units according to wiki)

I do agree with your points though, especially 5. It seems like developers are relying on downloaded patches to fix issues that could have been corrected during development. I guess this allows them to release titles faster (and patch them later, heck even the same day as release), at the consumers' expense :(

6. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Hardest boss in a game I have to deal with everyday: PS3 wifi.

Online patches is good, but only relying on them and not fix the bugs in dev stage is just stupid.

DLC's should be free and optional, it's unfair to extort more money from customers.

In addition, old games are better.

AC04 >>> AC Assault Horizon

[​IMG]

MGS3 >> MGS4

[​IMG]

7. Datamonger

Reputations:
    ^
    MGS>Everything after MGS

8. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    Great comments. Rep +1

9. tijo

tijo Sacred Blame Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I beg to differ on some points, but local multiplayer has indeed taken a hit. There are still some great games to be found on current gen consoles. Nostalgia also has a part to play as we all remember the good parts rather than the bad. That being said, things have changed and not always for the better, i for one don't like this obsession with multiplayer, but that's because i've always been a bit more of a single player guy or local multi than an online kind of guy.

DLC and Updates i'm cool with as long as they aren't used to launch a rushed half broken game or as a pure money grab for things you actually need in the game. I'm cool with cosmetic stuff if you're willing to pay for it for example.

I wouldn't say that older gen consoles are superior, only that they are different.

There are some pretty good games on this generation of consoles, but there is also the franchise milking which is annoying and a ton of generic crap and shovelware. The SNES will always hold a special place in my heart though, first console i got (i was 6 at the time). Man the hours spent playing DKC and Super Mario world, good times!

I should add that i've never owned one of the last gen consoles, played them to death at friend's place and there were some great games, but never owned one.

10. WCFire

WCFire Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I miss local multiplayer. The last modern FPS I played that supported decent local multiplayer was Perfect Dark Zero. It had the bots, lots of gameplay modes, variety, co-op... wasn't this the reason why Goldeneye was so popular? Online multiplayer is so pale in comparison.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.