1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Which is better ? HP envy or Toshiba Satellite ?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by testzz, Nov 20, 2012.

1. testzz

testzz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  2. Jarhead

Jarhead Luigi #1

Reputations:
    If you fill out the sticky, we can help you better. It's there for a reason ;)

For reference, judging quality based on brand alone doesn't work. For example, a HP Pavilion (or other consumer laptop) won't hold a candle against a HP Elitebook.

3. danielschoon

danielschoon das it mane

Reputations:
    the L955 is weakest on preformance as it is low energy consuming (or pretends to be). If i were you i´d not buy either of them.

ThinkPad Edge E535 15.6" Laptop | Shop | Lenovo | (US)

have a look at those, configuere them with the A10 processor and 8gb RAM and a 7.200 RPM hard disc and you got your self a nice preforming quality laptop

4. testzz

Reputations:
    <span style="color:#646060">What is your budget?</span>
    $500 - $600

<span style="color:#646060">What country will you be buying this in?</span>
    US

<span style="color:#646060">What size notebook do you prefer?</span>
    Thin and Light (13 - 14-inch screen)
    Mainstream (15 - 16-inch screen)

<span style="color:#646060">What brands do you like or dislike?</span>
    Like: hp, asus, sony, Toshiba <br />Dislike: dell

<span style="color:#646060">Would you consider a refurbished laptop?</span>
    No

<span style="color:#646060">Processor?</span>
    INTEL

<span style="color:#646060">Processor type?</span>
    Anything better or equal to i5 (i7 would be bonus)

<span style="color:#646060">Bluetooth?</span>
    YES

<span style="color:#646060">USB ports / type ?</span>
    At least 2-3 USB port (with 3.0 and 2.0)

<span style="color:#646060">What are the primary tasks you need this notebook for?</span>
    Computer Programming, Web Surfing, Office and Productivity Software, Listening to Music, Photo Editing, Video Editing, Video Chat and Conference, Movie Streaming and Viewing, Output Video to TV or Large Monitor, Casual Gaming

<span style="color:#646060">Where will you be using this laptop?</span>
    Will be used different places

<span style="color:#646060">How many hours of battery life do you need?</span>

<span style="color:#646060">Will you be buying online or in store?</span>
    online or in store

<span style="color:#646060">Which OS do you prefer?</span>
    Windows 8

<span style="color:#646060">List the screen resolutions that interest you:</span>
    High Resolution (1600 x 900)
    Max Resolution (1920 x 1080) - ok with 768 too

<span style="color:#646060">Do you prefer a glossy or matte screen?</span>
    Glossy or Matte is fine

<span style="color:#646060">Is the laptops design important to you?</span>
    Yes

<span style="color:#646060">Approximately what date will you be buying this laptop?</span>
    Around 11/22/2012

<span style="color:#646060">How long do you want this laptop to last?</span>
    3 years to 4 years

<span style="color:#646060">How much storage capacity do you need?</span>
    750 GB (anything more than 500 is also good)

<span style="color:#646060">How much RAM ?</span>
    At least 6GB

<span style="color:#646060">Are you interested in SSD for storage?</span>
    Maybe

<span style="color:#646060">Do you want a built-in optical drive, what type?</span>
    DVD Burner (blue-ray will be bonus)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2015 at 2:47 PM
  5. danielschoon

danielschoon das it mane

Reputations:
    then i´d get the edge 530 instead. But why no AMD?

For that money you are not going to get a 1080p display i am afraid :(

6. testzz

Reputations:
    If L955 is weakest - What about these two ?

HP Envy m6-1125dx

Toshiba Satellite S855-S5377

The reason I wanna stick with these is because deals are available for black friday on these (see prices on my first post above) - I am sure buying directly from manufacturer will cost me more - money plays a big role for me in buying laptop.

7. testzz

Reputations:
    Like I mentioned, I am good with 768 resolution too

8. danielschoon

danielschoon das it mane

Reputations:
    At the lenovo web shop there are some nice discounts now about 65$. I think that you could get an A10 with 8gb RAM and 7.200RPM for around 600$. Or intel i3 or i5 8gb RAM and 7.200RPm for around 600$. But why not go AMD. The advantages of those edge series are its faster hard disc and matte screen and better built qaulity and keyboard.

9. testzz

Reputations:
    If L955 is weakest - What about these two ?

HP Envy m6-1125dx

Toshiba Satellite S855-S5377

Could you please rank these 3 for me ? (based on your priority for these laptops - on performance / quality / support available from manufacturer / battery life)

10. danielschoon

danielschoon das it mane

Reputations:
    pretty equal i would have a clue so i´d go for the cheapest one.
    1Hp
    2Toshiba
    But why not check out those lenovo thinkpad edges?

11. Jarhead

Jarhead Luigi #1

Reputations:
    For that price range, the HP Envy dv6z with 1080p display is a much better deal. A6-4400M, better built-in GPU than the HD 4000, 6GB RAM, 640GB HDD, and 1080p display upgrade for $700 from HP's website. Or you can get a quad-core A8 and even better built-in GPU for an extra $50. Because of the display alone, I wouldn't even consider the other two laptops you linked to.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/ho...wcPl?PageSize=15&search=&SearchTerm=envy dv6z

For low-budget laptops (say, $600 or less), it doesn't matter where you buy them from (in store or on an OEM's website), but once you start going higher in price, it's cheaper to buy directly from the manufacturer.

You're mucking up your priorities when you state that you'll only look at an i5 or i7, whereas you neglect the display (arguably the most important component of a laptop). As I said in your other WNBSIB thread, your requirements don't require any processor in particular, and you won't see any benefit from artificially limiting yourself that way. It's akin to buying a car and stating that you'll only consider whether it has a 4cyl or a V6 engine, when you ignore how the interior looks/feels.

12. testzz

Reputations:
    Thank you

Yes, I am looking at lenovo website at lenovo laptops...

13. cognus

cognus Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm a huge fan of AMD gpu's, but the new Trinity A6-4400M is just too weak to justify putting in such an otherwise good laptop. A8 or A10 is worth the 50 bucks or so more! but to me, even the lowly E-350/450 are superior to HD4000 for several reasons, one being the very slick implementation of HDMI

14. cognus

cognus Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  15. testzz

Reputations:
    Yes, I remember you recommended AMD yesterday in other thread..

I understand what you explained that in same amount of money, I can make AMD more powerful what I will be spending on intel.

I did a lot of research...Here is an example:

Average CPU Mark

AMD A6-4400M APU - Score: 1795 (PassMark - AMD A6-4400M APU - Price performance comparison)

AMD A8-4500M APU - Score: 2633 (PassMark - AMD A8-4500M APU - Price performance comparison)

Intel Core i5-3210M @ 2.50GHz - Score: 3882 (PassMark - Intel Core i5-3210M @ 2.50GHz - Price performance comparison)

Intel's score is still higher if I upgrade AMD from A6 to A8....That is one more reason I am interested in Intel more...

Yes, I do understand what you explained about the screen-size yesterday by giving example of screenshot and by which I 100% agree,,, screen is important.. but majority of laptops are available in 768 screen resolution (in my budget)... $700 is maximum (including taxes) that I want to spend... staying lower and getting back for the buck is what I am looking for... that's why I posted these 3 laptops here for advise..(even tho I know RAM, hard drive etc can be added later manually,, but you can deny the fact that it also requires money right ?..)

16. Jarhead

Jarhead Luigi #1

Reputations:
    It's powerful enough for the OP's uses, but I agree that the A8 is definitely a great CPU to go with.

I wouldn't trust Acer's build quality unless we're talking about the Timeline or TimelineX series, and besides that comes with a sub-par 768p display. 100 PPI needs to die.

17. danielschoon

danielschoon das it mane

Reputations:
    note that those tests are based on just raw CPU power. And i agree Intel is lots better if you run demanding CPU aplications but you wont. (my i5 scores well over 4140 points i think those scores are affected by your cooling and you have to shut evry other program you are running so there are lots of flucuations in the score and the A8 might score higher in your laptop) But the drawbacks of the intel processors are its dual core architecture and theire less good integrated graphics. The AMD A8 and A10 are quad core and you wil benefit in your evry day computng from having a quad core.

I know it will cost money but a 1080p screen is a nice upgrade it just feels like a punch in my face when i go back to my low PPI desktop monitor. Then there is the difference between matte and glossy screen. I prefer glossy the previous gen HP Pavilions of my friend just has a mirror as a screen viewing angels are very very limited. The ThinkPad edges come with a matte screen which is IMO better. Those thinkpads will come with much faster hard discs aswel. NOrmal customer laptops come with 5.400 RPM hard disc but they come with high end 7.200RPM which is quite a bit faster (just youtube for movies about difference in boot up time for instance). For 600$ ou could make a nice Edge with A10 processor, 7.200RPM hard disc and 8 GB RAM good valua and quality for money. Remember than you are never paying for nothing and when not on offer the cheaper laptop are likly to have a bad quaity.

18. Jarhead

Jarhead Luigi #1

Reputations:
    To go back to a car analog, and using your uses, you're trying to justify Intel in the same way someone would try justifying a Mustang to be a grocery runner based solely on 0-60mph times. You're thinking about Intel for the wrong reasons. After using systems as low as the E-350 and Atom and all the way up to the latest i7 quad cores, believe me when I say you won't benefit from getting an Intel for the reasons danielschoon stated. Your really should be looking at the display and GPU, as you will *not* experience any lag with any modern CPU you choose.

19. Jarhead

Jarhead Luigi #1

Reputations:
    * Or more accurately, a car's top speed, not 0-60. When's the last time you've maxed out your car on the road, for example?

(phone isn't loading the "edit post" button)