Which iPad 3? 16 vs 32 vs 64 GB: Usage Scenarios, Experiences & Apps w main PC/Mac

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by crashnburn, Mar 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shriek11

shriek11 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    ^ I can agree with you about smart phone where battery life is an issue :rolleyes:, but when you go into tablet territory then I think flash should be allowed. Unlike a smart phone, a tablet is a purely entertainment device and if a toshiba thrive could support flash without many hickups, then so can an iPad!

2. kornchild2002

kornchild2002 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have yet to come across an Android tablet that could smoothly playback anything other than 360p/480p Flash videos. Granted, I have only had experience with a Xoom 2 and Galaxy Tab 10 but things weren't silky smooth on either one. I tried loading a 720p Fash video and it wouldn't playback smoothly. Even sites such as IGN caused some hiccups. Even then the batteries of each tablet drastically drained during the experience. The Xoom's battery life decreased by 20% in a 30 minute browsing period with Flash heavy content, the Samsung was pretty much the same.

So again, what's the point of having Fash on an entertainment device if it isn't going to be entertaining and will drain the battery of these devices? Furthermore, what's the point of offering Flash if Adobe themselves are backing out of mobile support?

3. Bill Nye

Bill Nye Know Nothing

Reputations:
    You won't get silky smooth playback, I don't get it even with my Galaxy S2. In some cases it's the fault of the stream/source, in other cases, your hardware simply isn't enough. But you'll get something. That's the point.

And 20% in 30 minutes is a stretch. It's closer to 10% per half hour.

The point of flash? You're still getting access to these content where you otherwise wouldn't.

So what if adobe isn't supporting it? Until websites are 100% flash free, there's always a use for it.

EDIT: Just tried some flash viewing on the old Nexus One. Not particularly pleasant. Still worth having. But on the S2, it's a tolerable even enjoyable (in the sense you get access to something you otherwise wouldn't) experience.

4. ajreynol

ajreynol Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Agreed.

The nice thing is that there are fewer and fewer non-niche sites that don't work without flash anymore.

all the major streaming websites (justin.tv, livestream, ustream, twitch, youtube) all work. all major sports and entertainment websites that I can think of to try all work (or have a convenient app to use). I'm sure there are still some smaller, niche sites that remain dependent on Flash, as well as some foreign sites...but in the next 12 months, I expect the flash requirement for any and all moderately significant websites to be gone, providing a flash-free alternative.

5. Bill Nye

Bill Nye Know Nothing

Reputations:
    I don't think that's 100% the story. If you've ever used any LTE device, even with a tablet sized screen, you're still looking at a significant portion of the battery going towards powering the radio. For phones, LTE vs wifi is EASILY twice the battery life. So unless Apple developed a new revolutionary LTE radio that sips, there's definitely more to it. 9 hours with LTE sounds about right, 10 hours with wifi sounds very off.

I can't find an iPad 3 wifi tear down... anyone?

Also can't find any Galaxy Tab LTE battery tests either...

EDIT: Never mind, displaymate.com had everything on there. 0.42w for an iPhone 4 screen, 7w for the iPad 3. Jesus.

6. kornchild2002

kornchild2002 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    What do you mean "thats the point"? That is what myself and others have argued but it is shot down continually saying "it is still better to have it" without any concrete reasoning. Many examples of bad Flash experiences on mobile platforms have been given yet the responses have essentially been "because" without much reasoning.

I didn't pull those battery life numbers out of my , the Xoom 2 really did drain by 20% in half an hour and the Samsung was right around there (maybe 17 or 18%) in the same timeframe. It might be different for other tablets running different versions of Android. I don't know. Either way, that means that a tablet's battery can be cut in half with about 90 minutes of internet browsing. Yep, that is exactly what I want out of my tablet experience: having to plug it in every few hours just as I would a big 17" gaming notebook.
    The point of flash? You're still getting access to these content where you otherwise wouldn't.

As per Adobe not supporting it, websites keep adding more and more features through Flash but Adobe isn't optimizing their code for Android. That means that websites are going to continue to evolve but Android will be stuck running outdated code that will further degrade the performance and eat away at the battery.

So why is it still worth having when the experience is crap? "Just because" is not a proper answer. There are plenty of reasons to not have Flash on iOS and they have been laid out pretty clearly. So far, the only reason to put it on Android seems to be "just to have access" even though that access is nothing more than a crap experience.

Either way, the point of this thread was not to discuss the (lack of) merits that Flash has on mobile platforms. The OP wanted to know what iPad configuration they should purchase. I think we can stop discussing the (3984579832475 negative and one positive) experiences of running Flash on Android since it has been discussed to death already.

Edit:

According to an Apple Store employee, the wi-fi iPad is the same exact configuration as the LTE models just without the LTE/EDGE/3G/wireless options. Don't forget that the display in the iPad 3 is going to be the biggest consumer of power. The increase in resolution not only requires more processing power to handle but Apple (Samsung) had to drastically increase the backlight of the display. When pixels are that packed together, they will form a dense image making it much harder to light to shine through. Apple had to increase the backlight system of the display just so it could maintain the same brightness levels of the iPad 2. All-in-all, I think the display is the biggest battery hog in the iPad 3 and the LTE radio might come in second (at least when the A5X isn't being stressed).

7. Bill Nye

Bill Nye Know Nothing

Reputations:
    How is "You're still getting access to these content where you otherwise wouldn't" not concrete? Seems to be about as concrete as it gets.

Whereas arguments from the otherside are less concrete if anything. How about I make the decision whether or not the experience is "tolerable"? Seems an opinionated thing, no? I find flash browsing in a pinch to be more than bearable, even enjoyable once the stream gets going. Who are you to tell me it's not?

The simple facts: flash content still exists. If you want access to this content, you need a flash-enabled device. If you don't have one, you need another means to access this content, or you simply can't access it at all.

A lot of negatives, a single positive. But a VERY VERY SIGNIFICANT POSITIVE, in fact, the only positive that really matters.

If I wanted an education on some matter, and if it involved piecing together hundreds of pages of broken English, that's still infinitely better than NOT having access and therefore NOT fulfilling my educating needs.

8. ajreynol

Reputations:
    But it's nowhere near that simple.

Virtually all content from any relevant websites in 2012 offer access to that same content without flash. It's concrete. It's demonstrably true.

If you would like to have an even more concrete discussion, you should name all the relevant sites you can think of that don't work on iOS devices. That is the context that is important here. If people know that Livestream, Ustream, Youtube, Vimeo, Twitch.tv, Justin.tv, CNN, MSNBC, Fox News, Yahoo News, Autoblog, Engadget, Verge, Gizmodo, etc. etc. etc. all offer their video and streaming services WITHOUT A NEED FOR FLASH...then what relevant websites are we talking about that make Flash so worth keeping on mobile devices?

The internet will be/is a better place without such reliance on Flash in the same way that it was better when Firefox, Safari, Chrome and others forced the internet to back off of reliance on ActiveX plug-ins.

9. Bill Nye

Bill Nye Know Nothing

Reputations:
    Without going into specifics, for me personally: European sports streams. Every sky sports stream I could find turned out to be flash only.

If you have an HTML5 alternative, I'm more than happy to hear it. Barcelona vs Milan's coming up; Champion's League in its quarter-final stages.

10. ajreynol

Reputations:
    I'll see what I can turn up for you.

I've never really done the sports streaming thing before. Usually because the unofficial websites always seemed so shady. But If there's money to be made, those services would be foolish to not make their offerings flash-free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.