Which has better thermals/cooling?

Discussion in 'MSI' started by TheSmilingSloth, Jul 23, 2018.

?

Which is better among these two? Especially cooling.

1. MSI Dominator Pro GT72VR 6RE

50.0%
  2. MSI GT63 Titan 8RF

50.0%
  1. TheSmilingSloth

TheSmilingSloth Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am confused between MSI's two offerings at the time. One in my consideration is MSI Dominator Pro GT72VR 6RE and the second one is MSI GT63 Titan 8RF. I know these two are in the higher end of the spectrum. Apart from the overall screen size the Titan beats the Dominator pro in every aspect. Newest 8th gen processor, higher frequency RAM and little lighter. I don't prefer 17 inch to 15. G-Sync not a deal breaker for me at 120Hz.
    But the confusion is which offers best cooling? Dominator has Cooler Boost 4 with 7 heat pipes I think and Titan has Cooler Boost 5 with 8 heatpipes. On paper, Titan blows the Domi away but I have seen some reviews on YouTube that Dominator offers better thermals. A gamer called DeadPhoenix86 plays all the games on Dominator pro while maintaining CPU temp below 50°C and GPU temp around 65°C (Fans maxed out). But in reviews I have seen about titan, the both CPU and GPU temps are hitting 70°C.
    This video confuses me even further. Themps are in high 80s!

Please help me choose the right one among these two. Take as much time as possible but come up with clear and evident proofs. I really want the Titan. It also costs 150 bucks less than Dominator Pro buy the temps are confusing me.
    Edit: Does the Titan have slower SATA SSD or the NVME one? MSI hasn't advertised about the SSD Storage on Titan product page!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  2. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    What do you want to purchase the notebook for? Gamingn?

3. TheSmilingSloth

Reputations:
    Of course yes! Just wanna know which has better cooling. :)

4. Danishblunt

Reputations:
    The thing is, the dominator has a way inferior CPU (6700hq), so obviously it will cool down much easier and will stay much cooler.

Personally, I would recommend the GT73 with a 7820HK, they are better for gaming than 8th gen 8750H's and are much easier to cool as well.

5. TheSmilingSloth

Reputations:
    As a guy coming from 1st gen Intel i3 HD Graphics, gtx 1080 ti would be overkill for me. Which of the two laptops I have mentioned has greater longevity? I think the heat in the Titan might wear it down sooner than the Dominator Pro. Am I right?

6. Danishblunt

Reputations:
    Not really both are in a temperature range where it doesnt do much.

7. TheSmilingSloth

Reputations:
    Okay then. I am going with the Dominator. I need that cooling above anything else. Only if it had i7 6700K instead of 6700HQ, the performance would have been on par with i5 8400. But no problem. Skylake i7 is a huge leap from i3 530. :)

8. TheSmilingSloth

Reputations:
    But what' wrong with the drivers? The ones provided in MSI's website are extremely outdated. How can they drop support for such high end gaming laptops?! I also heard that Win 10 ver 1803 has incompatibility problems with Tobbi eye tracker and they are providing unofficial drivers which literally breaks most of it's features! What tf is wrong with MSI!!

9. Danishblunt

Reputations:
    That is absolutely false. the 6700K will destroy the 8400 in gaming, games do not care about core count as long u got 4 cores. All that matters is IPC.

Considering the cost, the GT 63 is a far better choice.

You can get drivers from an external site.

10. TheSmilingSloth

Reputations:
    My bad! I had actually checked the cpu.userbenchmark where they showed that i7 6700k is slightly better than i5 8400. Anyway, thanks for your response. What do you have to say about MSI driver support? After all they are $2000+ machines. No joke!