Which gaming laptop should I get?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Vanos89, May 31, 2020.

1. Vanos89

Vanos89 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone,

I was hoping to get some advise from any expert here as my IT knowledge is rather limited. It's also the reason why I registered just now on this forum. So excuse me in advance for asking a question without having contributed to this forum.

I'm interested in buying a gaming laptop capable of playing (new) games in high resolution. At the same time I would like to be able to stream to Twitch if that is even possible in my price range (1500-1600 USD, note that these are European prices).

I would also like to use the laptop for video and photo editing. Therefore I would like to get a gaming laptop with a pretty good color accuracy (I was told that this is pretty hard to find in a gaming laptop).

I have found the following interesting laptops within my price range. Which one of the list is most suitable for my needs? And is there any other laptop that you would recommend instead?

HP Pavilion G 17-cd0145nb

17.3 inch
    144 Hz

i7
    16 GB RAM
    512 GB

GeForce GTX 1660 Ti Max-Q

Dell G3 15

15.6 inch
    60 Hz

i7
    16 GB RAM
    512 GB

GeForce GTX 1660 Ti

Acer Nitro 5 AN517-51-707Q

17.3 inch
    144 Hz

i7
    16 GB RAM
    1256 GB

GeForce GTX 1660 Ti

Thanks so much in advance!

2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    The 1660 Ti is kind of weak, so playing new games at high resolutions is going to challenge it a bit. Which "i7" CPU do these have?

For the same price you can get a much better product (and a more powerful GPU) than those listed. Also built better than most (magnesium chassis versus plastic).

https://www.eluktronics.com/MAX-15

You'll have to pay an extra $100 for 17-inch, be definitely worth it.

https://www.eluktronics.com/MAX-17

Last edited: May 31, 2020
  3. Nauzhror

Nauzhror Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Color accuracy in any 4K or 144 hz display tends to be good. Those things don't directly lead to higher color accuracy, but displays with those traits tend to be the ones they put more effort into such things on.

As for whether 1660 TI is good enough, that depends what "high resolutions" are. Is 1080P a high resolution? Or do you mean 1440P/4K?

I would avoid any Max-Q laptop if on a restrictive budget. They have some benefits, but they are absolutely terrible in regards to price/performance.

Example: In the Max-15, it's an extra $400 for a 2070 Super, or an extra $750 for the 2080 Super Max-Q. The 2070 Super is actually the more powerful of the two options in most benchmarks I have seen, it just runs hotter, and won't be cooled as quietly as a result.

4. Peto Pedro

Peto Pedro Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  5. Sentential

Sentential Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm going to give different advice from what you'll likely see here based on my own experience. I personally would avoid "gamer" PCs. Most are built terribly and require various massaging in order for them to function properly and even if you do you're mostly limited to what it came with.

Right now the world is plunging into an economic depression and I wouldn't buy new at all especially with prices on used business class devices coming off lease at absolute fire-sale prices. Take my example, I recently bought a Zbook Studio G5 with the 1000-nit color accurate 4k Dreamcolor panel and a 8th-gen Xeon for $1350 on eBay. Granted it only came with a P1000 which is equivalent to a GTX1050 non Ti but the retail price on a laptop like this is almost $4,000. No this isn't some pile of junk but rather an open-box unused device still under warranty for the next 2 years.

You can regularly find Zbooks, Elitebooks, Precisions, and Thinkpads which are similarly
    equipped to the PCs you are looking at (CPU wise) well below $1,000 on ebay. Most are either off lease PCs or from businesses liquidating assets from laid-off employees. Yes I understand it's a bit off putting to think in these terms but these are the times we live in.

So how exactly do you game on these? Well as long as you're using the Insider-Preview Fast Ring (or whatever build eventually fixes error 12) you can buy an EGPU for around $250-300USD and an old mining card like a Vega56 dirt cheap around $150USD. So as long as you can get a workstation PC with Thunderbolt 3 south of $1000 that leaves you more than enough room to buy an EGPU. Something like a Vega56 and will give you a total package far superior to what you're looking at in raw power.

It'll have less wear and tear on the laptop since most of the heat / power generation will come from the eGPU not your internal components plus the ability to use an external keyboard/mouse and monitor; not to mention GPU upgrade-ability.

Something to consider.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020