Which CPU for Video?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by mikeguava, Jan 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikeguava

mikeguava Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,

I am looking into buying a high end Video / Graphics notebook within the next 20-40days . The main software I'll be using are Avid Xpress DV ( with Mojo) adnAdobe After Effects. The recommended systems are either a Powerbook, Dell Precision M60 or Dell C840 as as the HP Compaq workstation nw8000, but other Laptops should work fine as well. As Adobe After Effects loves HT and is very render intensive, I started thinking about the 3.2 GHZ P4 HT CPUs. For me the highest speed is the most important feature and I would love to find out what the recommendation for it would be.

Thanks

mike

2. Andrew Baxter

Andrew Baxter -

Reputations:
    The Voodoo m855 is the fastest notebook on the market, hands down. It uses a 64-bit chipset from Athlon. Problem is that it's expensive and targeted at gamers, although gamers often have similar needs to high-end graphics designers.

http://www.voodoopc.com/systems/m855.aspx

The Dell M60 offers a WUXGA (Wide Ultra XGA) screen and fast performance. I'd think that screen real estate is a major consideration for you so you might want to consider that too.

I would also note that although processor speed is important, the amount of RAM in the video card (sounds like you should go with 128MB RAM vid card) and the amount of RAM memory available will up the performance greatly and maybe help you more than incremental step ups in processor speed. Go with 1GB of RAM if you can afford it.

3. Brian

Brian Working at 486 Speed NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    I'd like to echo Andrew's post and strongly recommend the RAM upgrades for video and computer.

Editor in Chief http://www.bargainPDA.com and http://www.SPOTstop.com

4. mikeguava

mikeguava Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,

thanks a lot for the replies. The Voodoo 855 was certainly a big consideration for me, but due to the smaller videocard (64MB only ) as well as only 1GB RAM max ( I would actually prefer 2GB...Brian you are certainly heard!) coupled mith a 1450 X 1050 at that price is not 100% selling me.
    Dells 1920 x 1200 screens are as Abaxter already noted are a major point for me. Actually the M60 has everything I am looking for (even an ok price if you purchase refurbished), but the CPU worries me being a bit too slow.
    No other laptop I ran acroos have my dream specs:
    Fast CPU
    2GB Ram
    60GB 7200RPM
    UXGA or WUXGA Screen 15 inches or larger
    128MB Video Card

Sager ( and others) sells the NP4780 which is just a genric notebook labeled Sager which has great specs including a P4 3.2GHZ HT CPU.Does anyone know the original manufacturer and or has any thoughts on this Laptop. Everything but the 1440x900 display sounds perfect. Just not sure what the real world performance of this sytem would be.

Thanks

Mike

5. mikeguava

mikeguava Newbie

Reputations:
    Also to add:
    I am a PC guy, but my sofware runs on MAc as well. Is the Powerbook any quicker than the latest PC or is this just blown up PR?

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.