Which Car Should I Get?

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by visiom88, Feb 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    Hyundai and Kia have definitely gotten better from the 80's and 90's but they are still cheap and cheerful cars. They will get you from point A to point B with no problems, but the interior is like milk chocolate tray plastic. Also if yours has issues, replacement parts are expensive. My friend has a 2011 Hyundai Accent, it's not a horrible car but it feels just like a drab to drive. Everything is grey inside, feels like you went back in time 40 years.

I distinctly remember my friend's Kia Sportage had a 10 year warranty, but for some reason the factory pads kept on going out after like 6 months. After 5 replacements, Kia was going to charge him for pads, being under warranty as they claim he was somehow abusing them. He ended up buying 3rd party pads, but kinda crappy customer service IMO.

2. visiom88

visiom88 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sorry. I don't want a Prius. I've driven a friend's 2nd gen before and it's just not for me. I agree with you that Veloster's design is quite controversial, but in my subjective opinion I like it -- it seems easy to grow an attachment to.

Following the general consensus that Focus' DCT is problematic, I guess I can safely cross it out of my list.

3. MGS2392

MGS2392 NAND Cat!

Reputations:
    Doesn't quite hit your MPG range, and is cutting it close on the price range, but how about the 2012 Impreza?

Disclaimer: <<< Subaru fan

4. visiom88

visiom88 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    In fact, I was considering Impreza as my dad drives 2011 Outback with MT which is a great, great car. However, both boxer engine and CVT are expensive to maintain, so I had to cross it out of my list. If it wasn't for the maintenance and mileage, I would've gotten the Impreza at a heartbeat. :(

5. SemiExpert

SemiExpert Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If you live in the DC area, and your commute takes a long time but doesn't involve huge annual mileages, you might want to consider a lease on the new BMW 328i. I think the highway rating with the 8-speed slushbox is 36 MPG, which is pretty impressive for a car with a 14 second quarter mile time. Hooray for turbos.

6. MGS2392

MGS2392 NAND Cat!

Reputations:
    Really? We've had a number of Subarus in our family, and we've pretty much only had to give them oil changes. Mine had issues with the intake manifold O-rings during extreme cold, but that's only $20 worth of parts. Then again, we've only had the 4EAT and 5EAT Legacys. No CVTs here.

7. millermagic

millermagic Rockin the pinktop

Reputations:
    Most of the problems with the dual clutch transmission are from people expecting them to be 100% identical to a torque converter auto.

I drove one and I guess my impression was neither here nor there. It did shift quicker than any other auto I drove, but it was a bit quirky. The way they have it tuned, it was really happy to downshift. Case in point, I was trying to drive on on the freeway (fiesta) and going 65 it was bouncing off the rev limiter.

I don't think it's terrible. I just prefer having a manual.

It has to engage the clutch to get moving. What I noticed was it has a REAL short first gear and just does a clutch drop. That could be one complaint with people. It doesn't engage the clutch easily. I'm assuming first gear has to get so low because the computer isn't able to modulate the clutch.

8. JOSEA

JOSEA NONE

Reputations:
  9. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    Boxer engines are reliable, especially Subaru's. HOWEVER if you blow the motor (happens alot in WRX/STi) then you are screwed. I helped a friend rebuild his STi motor, never again. However, rotary engines are nice and easy to fix. :D

The main thing about Subaru's has always been middling fuel economy, though most people don't buy Subaru for fuel economy. Don't know if newest transmissions/CVT has changed that at all.

10. Kaelang

Kaelang Requires more Witcher.

Reputations:
    It's better than it used to be, but it's still cheap feeling. The seats are hard and the fabric looks cheap. It's fine if you've given up on finding a better car.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.