Which battery for "overpowered" M15X?

Discussion in 'Alienware M15x' started by katzenfutter, Mar 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. katzenfutter

katzenfutter Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi!

Sorry for my bad english, I'm from Austria ;)

I ordered today a used Alienware M15X Nebula Red Notebook.

Following components are built in:

Intel Core i7 940xm (4 x 2,33 GHz up to 4 x 3,33GHz Turbo Boost )
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX680M
    8GB Kingston SDRAM
    1x 320 GB Seagate 7200U + 1x 500 GB Seagate Sata ( I will upgrade 1x HDD to an SSD)
    Battery : Primary 9-cell 85W/HR LI-ION (SMP Type: D951T, 11.1V, 85wh)

I also get a "stronger" Power Cord, because of the built in i7/GTX680M.

My question is: where can I buy a ORIGINAL Dell battery for my Notebook these days? (Shop must ship to Austria!)

Dell also told me to watch out for these types of batteries because the D951T is discontinued.

W3VX3 & T780R - 6 Cells

F3J9T & T779R - 9 Cells

thank you all for your help!

greetings

2. kosti

kosti Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Congratulations, you got yourself a nice spec M15X. Your English is fine btw; I would not have been aware that it's not your native tongue if you hadn't had mentioned it. ;)

It's not going to be easy to find the 9 cell battery nowadays, especially in Europe. I found one a couple of years back in the UK on e-bay but they are getting rarer and rarer. If you do find one, it's probably going to be used with some wear on it. The 6 cell is easy to find though and there are a couple of aftermarket 6 cells from other brands.

As far as I know, all of those batteries are discontinued now. Did you call Dell and ask if they still stock them?

Your laptop already has the 9 cell and hopefully it still has some life left. Also, the battery life in the M15X is really sub-par, especially with a 920xm and 680m GTX installed, so you're going to want to have it plugged in all the time. Even if the 9 cell you are getting has lots of wear, it is still useful as a nice lift for the back of the laptop for better cooling. :)

A more important spec is the power adapter. Hopefully by "stronger" power cord you mean that the AC adapter included is at least a 210W model because you are going to want that extra power with those specs.

katzenfutter likes this.
  3. katzenfutter

Reputations:
    I will receive my Notebook in a few days.
    When I got it, I can tell you the specs from the power cord.
    Could you send me an link or website where I can order a good 6 cell? I can't find a 9 cell and the websites with 6 cell batterys I found don't look quite serious...
    The 9cell that come with the Notebook only last for a few minutes.
    Did you ever switched the keyboard from an m15x?
    Is that difficult? (Mine looks a little bit “used“ over the years)
    Is the Backlight from the keyboard directly built in the keyboard (when I change the keyboard i also get a new backlight?) or is it somewhere inside the notebook and a keyboard change won't bring new backlight?

https://m.ipc-computer.de/notebook-ersatzteile/alienware/m15x-serie/dell/tastatur-1

Thx and greetings

4. kosti

kosti Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I can't really recommend any place in Europe for the battery since the seller I got mine from doesn't have any more.

I honestly would just keep the 9 cell even if it's dead and just hold off on the 6 cell until you find a 9 cell. They pop up occasionally on e-bay. You can set an alert on e-bay for something like "M15X 9 CELL" and you'll get an e-mail alert if an auction with that in the title pops up.

If you must get a 6 cell, just look around and try to find a seller with good positive feedback and make sure the battery is genuine unless you are willing to buy a non-genuine battery.

The keyboard is super easy to replace. The only tool you need is a precision screwdriver. The keyboard has two ribbon cables: one for the keyboard function and an extra smaller ribbon cable for the backlights. The backlights for the laptop are controlled by a dedicated chip on the motherboard but the keyboard has the LEDs built in to it.

That keyboard you linked looks like the right one.

Here's a link for the M15X service manual:

http://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_laptop/esuprt_alienware_laptops/alienware-m15x_service manual_en-us.pdf

Here's a link to a teardown video:

Since you are new to the M15X, just make sure that if you get the original resource DVD with your laptop, DO NOT install any drivers from there. There's an issue with the Command Center software corrupting the firmware for the backlight chip. Just download the latest drivers directly from Dell.

katzenfutter and MZWiZard like this.
  5. MZWiZard

MZWiZard Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Congrats on your fine M15x. :D Someday, somebody gotta dismantle a 9 cell battery and try replacing the cells. If I had one, im sure i could.

katzenfutter likes this.
  6. kosti

kosti Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Tried that already :D I would not recommend it. The pack is impossible to take apart without horribly mangling the casing. Mine had Samsung 18650 ICR cells and even if I was able to replace them, it is still not a task I would recommend. Good 18650 cells can cost around $50 for 9 of them and then you have the issue with soldering them unless you can find pre-tabbed cells or have a spot welder. Soldering directly to the cell's poles is not a good idea, especially with li-ion cells that can vent violently and even blow up when exposed to too much heat. Then you need to make sure you wire them correctly because they are configured in a series/parallel setup which must be adhered to. So to sum it up: don't do it :D

katzenfutter likes this.
  7. katzenfutter

Reputations:
    No I won't open the Battery.
    Next question: The Notebook has installed Windows 10 already and I will upgrade one HDD to an SDD where Windows is installed.
    If I want to switch back to Windows 7, how do I do that? (But I don't want a normal Windows 7, I want the Alienware Windows 7 Edition :D )
    And how do I find out which Command Center Version is now installed? I don't want to brick my Motherboard...

8. kosti

kosti Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    To install Win7 you will need a Dell Windows 7 installation DVD (hopefully the seller includes it). If the Windows 10 installation was an upgrade from Windows 7, you can go into the recovery settings in Windows 10 and revert to Windows 7 (unless the seller deleted the Windows 7 installation files from the hard drive).

After you revert to Windows 7, you can use a disk cloning software like Easus Todo and clone your drive to your new SSD. Then you install the SSD, set it as the boot drive and you should be set.

The best thing to do, especially with a used PC, is to do a fresh install of Windows after getting it so hopefully you will get the Win7 installation disc.

The issue with Command Center :

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...command-center-from-your-resource-dvd.502744/

If your LED lights are working, then don't worry about it, just never ever use the version of Command Center on the resource disc. Always use the version from Dell's website.

katzenfutter likes this.
  9. katzenfutter

Reputations:
    I asked the Seller and he told me that he upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10.
    As far as i see the Photos (he made one from the DVD's too) I will receive a Resource DVD and a Windows 7 Home Premium Version.
    Would it be better to build in the SSD and then install a fresh Windows 7 Version via the Dell DVD?
    What would you recommend: Windows 10 or 7 on the M15X? Are all Drivers compatible with Windows 10?

The LED are working at the moment, but what if i install Windows 7 via DVD and there are old Command Center driver's on it (directly on the Windows 7 DVD, not on the Resource DVD)

10. kosti

kosti Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The Windows 7 Home Premium DVD will only have Windows on it, and will not have any Dell provided drivers or Alienware software such as Command Center. So when you use that DVD to re-install Windows, you will not be installing Command Center.

The Resource DVD is the other DVD with the drivers for the M15X and all the Alienware applications such as the bad version of Command Center. The Resource DVD you should just avoid and leave it aside.

While you are waiting for the PC to arrive, why not go to Dell's site and download all the latest drivers or at least the network drivers so that after Windows is installed, you can connect to the Internet and download the rest of the drivers as needed.

I am currently running Windows 10 and I really like it. Most drivers are installed by Windows. I had some issues with the Bluetooth drivers but after some searching I was able to fix them. Since Windows 10 was already activated on that PC, you should be able to upgrade back to Windows 10 without issues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.