Which AV you all use?

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by T-ravisty, Jul 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dynamite-guy

dynamite-guy Newbie

Reputations:
    currently using Bitdefender Total Security 2014.it does the protecting job well with minimal impact on performance.

2. sudoray

sudoray Newbie

Reputations:
    I used Avast (free) for the longest, but over the past few years it's become filled with annoying pop-ups and ads. Most of it can be easily turned off, and I understand the company's decision to bring in extra income, but when deploying to friends and family it's particularly frustrating.

3. Gandalf_The_Grey

Gandalf_The_Grey Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  4. Gandalf_The_Grey

Gandalf_The_Grey Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    An alternative would be Panda Cloud AV free: New Panda Cloud Antivirus 2.3. 100% protection. | Panda Cloud Antivirus

5. hemingway60

hemingway60 Newbie

Reputations:
    I currently used ESET NOD32 Antivirus v7 along with Emsisoft's Online Armor 6 free and top it up with a monthly scan by MBAM. I've been on this setup for the past 5 years (OA was still owned by Tallemu back then) and it has held up remarkably well. I am yet to be infected by malware but that's probably because I never browse on fishy webpages or download questionable software (which is what everyone should follow anyway, its common sense).
    NOD32 is extremely light on the system, I dare say it even trumps all the other AVs in terms of minimum system impact. Its detection rates are among the highest out there. Online Armor is equally light on the system, except for the few occasions where you install some software; the installations feels laggy and OA shows you alot of pop ups but that's pretty much it. The remaining time it just sits there quietly.

With the exception of Kaspersky's Internet Security, I think a standalone AV and firewall is a better combination than the security suites offered these days. I feel that the HIPS functionality in OA offers complete control over what goes on in your system, granted that it may not be such a good option for the novice user in which case a security suite might be a better option.

6. 3Fees

3Fees Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  7. gonwk

gonwk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hi 3Fees,

Thanks for the Share and the Link ... when I looked at the link under "Unbreachable" Tab I saw my current AV ... Avira at 69% vs Bitdefender at 94% ... wow ... and Avira ... Hmmm!

G! :)

8. 3Fees

3Fees Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Bit defender is light on resources,,once you get use it,,its actually quite cool.. Bit is really small footprint yet its active,,I went to a web page and it cut it short and would not let load..right click on it, and scan on demand, otherwise its in the background,,I have it on my Lenovo R61i,,, On my HP I have NIS,,if I had found Bit defender sooner, I have it on both notebooks.

cheers
    3Fees :)

9. Siphorous

Siphorous Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    As per another on this page, I used Avast for the longest time but then got fed up of the popups and so on.

Switched to Bitdefender. Very light and unobtrusive.

There is just one issue - not enough to make me stop using Bitdefender but just something I noticed.

That being - that whenever I loaded up the original Mass Effect (never mind 2 or 3 - not finished 1 yet :p), Bitdefender appears to crash and I have to reload it. Not noticed that with any other game (so far).

10. StormJumper

StormJumper Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    For me I was Avira user but since last year I switched to MSE it has both a malware-A/V scann all in one. Alot easier then having multiple scanners and finding one let's virus through and basically all those protections were wasted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.