Which AV you all use?

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by T-ravisty, Jul 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gandalf_The_Grey

Gandalf_The_Grey Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  2. viktik

viktik Newbie

Reputations:
    If you want to buy the internet security then F-secure, bullguard and norton is the best you can get without causing any performance issues.
    for paid version don't buy bitdefender, trend micro.

If you want to use free antivirus then avast, bitdefender free , avira and avg would do.

3. gonwk

gonwk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hi folks,

Q1: Can an Expert tell me what is the "Easiest" Antivirus, Freeware of course, that I can install on Elderly couples laptop that runs on Windows 8?

Q2: Also, any easy Firewall ... that it will Not be giving them a ton of alerts?

I myself have a Vista Home Prem., x64 laptop and use Avira 2013 + Comodo 6 FW + SpywareBlaster 5 + WinPatrol as active and MBAM and SAS fro on-demand. But I think this set-up would drive those nice old folks Crazy!

Thanks!

G! :)

4. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    gonwk

Windows 8 already has a fully integrated antivirus. Its called 'Windows Defender' (renamed from Microsoft Security Essentials).
    It is 'easy', simple, free and integrates well within Windows 8 - should be adequate for their needs (and it doesn't require registration like some other av's do) - just make sure its activated, updated, and that its set to do a daily quick scan (and updates at the same time).

You could also install Malwarebytes free (its an on-demand scanner that has to be run manually, but this is more of a backup measure in case the antivirus misses something).

As for the firewall - Windows 8 also already comes with a quality firewall which is more than adequate.

Which internet browser does the elderly couple use?
    If they use Firefox or Chrome (I recommend Chrome because its faster), I suggest you install 3 extensions: Adblock Plus, HTTPS everywhere and Do Not Track (these are for Chrome, but Firefox has those equivalents).
    This will ensure a safer browsing experience, even on 'shady websites'.

DDDenniZZZ likes this.
  5. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Pretty much agreed with Deks on the AV and firewall; Windows already has a pretty decent free solution built right in. Malwarebyte's is a good catch-all if MSE (I mean, Defender) misses something, since AV does not protect you against all known threats out there.

However, the most damaging threat out there these days are social engineering tricks and scams, and *no* software can protect against that. None, nada, zip. To protect against that, you need to sit down with that elderly couple and talk to them about social engineering, what forms it takes, and how to avoid it. The Nigerian Price, MyCleanPC (oh god, *this*...), bogus/redundant trial software (stuff like freecreditscore.com), etc, won't be "detected" by MSE/Defender, your firewall, any paid programs, any of that.

misterhobbs likes this.
  6. FrozenSolid

FrozenSolid Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Norton 360. I love it. Uses almost no resources and is quick and quiet.

7. I'm Poor

I'm Poor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Used MSE for a while then switched to BitDefender Total Security. Found that one infinitely annoying. Switched to Kaspersky Internet Security. Very happy with it.

8. player2099

player2099 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have not trusted in the built-in Windows firewall (thought i'm on Win 7).

My software firewall can be intrusive, but I recall Zone Alarm being rather user-intuitive in past experience.

I think MSE is sufficient. Unfortunately, if you're setting up for non-tech saavy persons, there will be problems. I usually recommend to get one of the pay-for-AV solutions like Norton or Mcafee to people-not-me.

9. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I set up MSE for non-tech savvy people all the time and they don't have problems.

As for Windows Firewall - well, it may require a bit more fine-tuning from the user, but other than that, its more than adequate.

Zone Alarm was... problematic at the best of times. That thing was so intrusive and slowed the system down, its not even funny.
    Personally, I don't bother with third party firewalls seeing how they are unnecessary.

10. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Never had any problems setting up MSE or Windows Firewall for non-tech-savvy people either. It's pretty simple to install MSE, and all you really have to tell them is "run the damn thing every so often" or tell them to set up an automatic schedule (which is easy). And Firewall isn't that hard either; I find that the recommended settings are good enough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.