Which AV software should I use?

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by Shaythong, Jul 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shaythong

Shaythong Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah I might aim for NOD32. I didn't know they had a 64-bit version! :D I tried the trial before and I thought it didn't work because it was so silent! I don't like AVG. I'm not sure about NIS 09 but I've had the NIS 05 one and it failed badly. Why I am for NOD32 you say? It leaves a small footprint and because I'm a laptop gamer it might help a little. Avast is the best free AV I've ever used and Avira works decent but I don't like it.

2. flipfire

flipfire Moderately Boss

Reputations:
    I like AVG for overall protection, just make sure to disable the link scanner on installation.

Avira is okay but i had problems getting rid of simple USB flash drive worms

3. MaXimus

MaXimus Notebook Deity

Reputations:

you are right about NOD32, very light and secure. Its 64 bit version is just as great

4. Shaythong

Reputations:
    Yeah and I guess the 64-bit edition makes use of the processor and memory better and also scans faster. :D

Before I will buy anything I downloaded the NOD32 Smart Security trial again on Windows 7. NOD32 still works. I scanned and it found two trojans on my backup drive. The Action Center in Windows 7 reports that Windows Firewall and Windows Defender are running at the same time as ESET's. Is it normal?

Attached Files:

5. ATC

ATC Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yep, it's normal. Apart from ESET ESS 4 (which I like a lot), there are some really good free ones. Avira, as already mentioned, is excellent and so is MSFT Security Essentials. I'm running all three, on different systems of course, and I really can't pick one over the other. I'd say MSE has the edge as it's free and, even in beta, it's super stable and extremely light on system resources. Plus, it integrates the best into 7.

6. Shaythong

Reputations:
    Say, if ESET ESS 4 was free. Would you choose MSE, even though it's beta, or ESET ESS 4? I'm having trouble choosing. I never tried MSE yet since it's in beta but from you and others they say it's stable, fast and works great with Windows 7. :D

7. ATC

ATC Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well ESS is a more complete anti-malware solution, like NIS2009 (i.e. built-in firewall etc...) whereas MSE is just an AV/AS so in that sense I'd recommend ESS.

But I have to say MSE has been surprisingly good, updates frequently, integrates very well with the OS (not surprising as it's made by MSFT) and really just runs way in the background using very little overhead. Despite its UI being simplistic, it still has many advanced options and features but they just don't overwhelm the user like some others do.

And even with it being in beta it's already getting some positive reviews on detection capability. I read quite a few reviews and some mentioned that MSE picked up stuff that NOD32 (which ESS is based on) failed to detect. Link. And OneCare, which MSE is replacing, was the AV to beat when it came to False Positives; it had the least.

8. Padmé

Padmé NBR Super Pink Princess

Reputations:
    Avast works fine. Just stick with that.

9. Baserk

Baserk Notebook user

Reputations:
    ^+1.
    No, you don't. ;)

Yes, but Avast free has password protection, a pre-boot scan, lots of configuration options and GMER antirootkit technology and only a slightly lower detection rate. And a cool spinning icon. ;)
    I'd say, you've got what you need.
    If you're just curious about something new, check out Avira free and Microsoft Security Essentials (when it's out of beta).
    Cheers.

10. luee

luee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    tried the big free three for extensive periods but the latest versions of two caused freeze problems. The winner, Avast. Seems best for older XP type computers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.