Which Antivirus Software is the best for gamers?

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by DrSloop, Aug 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrSloop

DrSloop Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I need an antivirus that doesn't affect the computer when gaming. I have heard that Bitdefender and Kaspersky have game modes that they switch to when you start playing a game. Any suggestions?

2. Wormwood

Wormwood Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I would go with Kaspersky or ESET/NOD32.

3. DrSloop

DrSloop Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What about Bitdefender?

4. jamesedward

jamesedward Newbie

Reputations:
    Gamers want their computer to be fast. So, it is best for them to use some light antivirus software which provides enough security for their online games and does not seek too much memory space. Avast, AVG, Bitdefender, Immunet Plus, Windows Defender etc are some of the names that a gamer can have for system security.

5. StormJumper

StormJumper Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    If your using Windows vista or 7 or 8 go with MSE that is a malware/AntiVirus in one package...and you don't have to deal with 3rd party A/V program should those cause problems.

6. KGB7

KGB7 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If you are worried about performance, then disable AV when gaming. Over the years, i have seen only one server in BFBC2 that was uploading viruses to people that connected to it.
    At times, AV softwares that i have used in the past, thought that game exe files were a virus.

Personally i would recommend Avast free or paid version. Its been good to me in the last few years.

7. MrDJ

MrDJ Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Same here. Me been using avast internet security pro for the last 2 years with only 2 false positives which were rectified within a hour. It also has a gaming mode but ive never used it and never had a problem during gaming sessions.

8. Ajfountains

Ajfountains Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Avast user here for at least the past 4 years on two different machines. That being said, Microsoft security essentials is pretty much all you need. Truth be told, i only use avast because i like the female voice telling me that my virus definitions have been updated. Only time I can get a girl to update me on anything lol

MrDJ likes this.
  9. ibbi1337

ibbi1337 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    yeah just look at Microsoft Security Essential's score in the following table, it's at the end, worst AV in the world. I use NOD32 it is the lightest AV and very secure:

fucmxh.png

Anyone who uses Microsoft Security Essentials has no idea about security whatsoever and just want to use it because it comes through Windows updates. heh.

10. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I'm sorry, but I simply cannot take that list seriously 'ibby1337'.

For one thing, my cousin (who is not the only example - I can assure you, there were many more) got himself a new laptop With Windows 8 which arrived with McAfee: Internet Security 2013 (which he paid for btw), and as it turned out, after I removed McAfee and replaced it with Windows Defender (as it was renamed in Windows 8 - which in this case required mere activation because it was already included in the OS), it immediately detected and removed several viruses.
    I also put MBAM on the laptop which detected and removed several malware (I don't care which AV you use - MBAM free is good to have regardless because in my experience, I have yet to see an AV that detects and removes malware as good as MBAM).

If MSE's protection was anything like the above list suggest, it should have failed to detect, let alone remove the virus, and yet, it performed better than McAfee.

Please explain this paradox 'ibby1337'.
    Also, how do you explain that none of the people (including myself) had any virus or malware issues since I installed MSE and MBAM on their computers?
    Granted, I also installed Adblock Plus, HTTPS everywhere and Do not track extensions into their browser (FF or Chrome - depending on which one they used) to beef up their browsing - but I can say from personal experience that MSE was and continues to be one of the most reliable free AV's.

Now, if MSE was able to do things that even McAfee cannot (which apparently 'ranks' a lot higher in that list you posted) and was not an isolated incident... I have to question the reliability and credibility of the people who made the list in question.

Dragnoak likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.