Where to buy high quality MP3s

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Phoenix, Jun 15, 2017.

1. DR650SE

DR650SE The Whiskey Barracuda

Reputations:
    My MP3 collection is something like 150GB which has been collected over the last 20 years starting with the Napster days. Upscaleing would be impossible Lol.

All my new stuff is ripped to FLAC or ALAC. Been using a modified 5.5 Gen ipod for the last 10 years due to the Wolfson DAC. But I also have the Westone W40s as my IEM. Love them

Just got a cheap(ish) used Astell & Kern AK100 in the mail too. Picking that up tommorrow. Well see how it compares.

As for good stuff, I sometimes purchase from HDtracks.com or whatever it is, but their library is so limited its a joke. But what I do get there sounds pretty great. Other than that, I just get the CD and rip it.

@radji, how do you like the W40s?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

2. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    I love my Westones. I will never use regular headphones for lossless playback ever again. Such a big difference.

I misspoke when I said I upscaled my music library. I acquired the lossless files thru websites or buying the CDs and ripping the files myself (more of the latter method than the former).

3. DR650SE

Reputations:
    I agree, the W40s are great! Have you replaced the stock cable? I was using a nice Silver Litz cable that looked really nice. That one needs to be resoldered. In the mean time I picked up a cheap silver cable on Amazon, which is not the best quality as one ear now occasionally goes out for a half a sec. I really like that the cables are replaceable. I've thought about getting them reshelled to customs just to give them a cool design. Not really a priority as it won't add too much benefit :p

Ahh ok, I definitely want to do the same as much as possible. So I'll just do it when I can. I go to the library and browse there CDs and from time to time they have good ones. Also wish used music exchange stores were as prevalent as they were back when I was in High School. There is at least one about 20 min from me. I'm always keeping an eye out for cheap CDs at used junk stores.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  4. radji

Reputations:
    Nope. I've got the stock cable still on it. I don't want to destroy some fancy cable when I use my Westones on my runs. Eventually I will have to get a USB-C cable since all the phones are doing away with the 3.5mm port. I will look into a better quality cable then.

DR650SE likes this.
  5. DR650SE

Reputations:
    Good call. My stock cable went out on me. I havn't used the W40s to run with yet. I normally run with Bose IE2 earbuds.

I forgot they are doing away with the 3.5mm, I knew Apple did. But I still use an old Galaxy S4. Next upgrade (whenever that is) I'll have to pit a 3.5mm on the requirements list

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

6. radji

Reputations:
    Your Westones should have come with the twist cable as well as the stock cable that has the handsfree buttons.

7. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 what is quality control?

Reputations:
    did you order ssd with the bmw?