Where to acquire S3 Chrome 540 GTX?

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by SMGJohn, Jul 27, 2017.

1. SMGJohn

SMGJohn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    As the title suggests, I am looking for the now very rare S3 Chrome 540 GTX, I cannot find it anywhere, on eBay nor Aliexpress.

If you have any idea where I can acquire this card it would be helpful as I am trying to build a non-American silicon desktop PC.
    You may ask why, and the reason is just because I can. These cards used to be really good ones back in the day but my old one broke.

2. StormJumper

StormJumper Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Good luck finding outdated hardware that is no longer used. If you can't find it on eBay consider it dead hardware. If anything eBay would be the last resort for finding anything that one wouldn't think to find elsewhere. Regardless whether you can build it or not is besides the point - outdated hardware will be become dust and finding it will come with a price if it even exists anymore and it won't be cheap either. So your ending remarks makes unreasonable demands and doesn't see reality - no one is going to sell you outdated hardware for the cheap if they know you want it that badly they will charge a arm and leg to sell it. And even they you get no warranty or option to test it as it is so old they most likely won't accept returns on it.

3. SMGJohn

Reputations:
    I do not really get your juice with me but all I asked for is if anyone know or sell this specific card, whether its obsolete or not is not related to anything.
    My old one broke, and now I am looking for a new one for my personal hobby, if having a hobby is illegal nowadays then Goddamn, I thought 1945 was over a long time ago.

4. Jarhead

Jarhead Systematic Love

Reputations:
    Hyperbole aside, Strom has a point in that it will be nearly impossible to find that specific, old card, especially in working order. Also, given how current PCIe cards are backwards compatible with older PCIe slots (nevermind better performance, power efficiency, and costs), why not get a modern or modern-ish card?

5. SMGJohn

Reputations:
    Do you have any modern non-American silicon GPU's for me? If so I be happy to obtain those instead.

6. Jarhead

Jarhead Systematic Love

Reputations:
    Most electronics these days (including GPUs) are made in China/Taiwan.

7. SMGJohn

Reputations:
    I know, but the S3 Chrome 540 is designed by VIA in Taiwan at the time, my goal is to make a non-American silicon computer, that has no American designed stuff in it, that includes the GPU.
    So far I managed to acquire very hard to get Chinese x86 processors 8 core.

8. Jarhead

Jarhead Systematic Love

Reputations:
    That's a rather weird hobby, but okay. Maybe look into Chinese-based brands that don't do any contract work with American companies? Good luck on that though.

9. SMGJohn

Reputations:
    Hey, everyone has to have a hobby mine just happen to be acquiring strange computer parts.
    I only know of S3 Graphics, Matrox Graphics and Imagination Technologies that does PCI GPU's

10. Jarhead

Jarhead Systematic Love

Reputations:
    Well, LTT did a video recently of odd GPUs, which all seem to be from Chinese companies and not sold in NA:

Silicon is silicon though, so they're not really all that different from normal nVidia GPUs.