1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Where is the on/off switch for Vostro 1000 for wireless connection

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Hauppauge, Jan 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hauppauge

Hauppauge Newbie

Reputations:
    I have a Vostro 1000 notebook which is connected by wireless and shares a wireless/wired connection with my desktop pc. Both computers were working fine until this morning. My desktop connects fine to the internet, but my laptop cannot connect.

I tried to reconnect through my automatic help program from Verizon. They are unable to see my wireless connection. They have asked if my the on/off switch for my computer connection to the internet is "ON". I have been unable to find it.

Finally I Googled it and they suggest the combination of FN - F-2, but I am not getting any results.

One more thing. Now when I turn the laptop on it knocks my desktop internet connection out and I have to shut down and reboot the modem.

Any suggestions?

Ginny

2. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Documentation

I don't actually see a physical wifi switch. Some laptops do not have it.

3. Commander Wolf

Commander Wolf can i haz broadwell? Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Vostro 1000/Inspiron 1501 don't have a physical switch. The Fn combination is supposed to be the switch, but you may need QuickSet or something other software to get it work.

Even then, I'm not 100% sure that's your problem here.

4. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Did you enable Wifi in the BIOS? Sometimes it's turned off for god knows what reason or someone is playing a practical joke on you.

Also possible the wifi card has died. Test with a known working wifi card.

5. Hauppauge

Hauppauge Newbie

Reputations:
    Found the switch, but the wireless connection is still not working. I did a full diagnostic test this morning. Got one error:

Error Code 0F000:137B
    Msg: IDE Device failed: Blank media or no media is present in optical drive. Test requires media with date (Resource CD, Installation CD

Can anyone tell me in layman's terms what this means?

6. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The error message is nothing to do with the wireless: It's saying that it can't test the optical drive because there's no disc in it.

Have you checked that the wireless adaptor is listed in Device Manager and shown as working?

Another possible conflict is that both computers are trying to use the same IP address. Normally the addresses are given out by the router. Did you try resetting the router?

It is possible that different bits of software are trying to manage the connection. Do you have any Dell connection manager software in addition to the basic wireless card driver.

John

7. Hauppauge

Hauppauge Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you all for your suggestions. Much appreciated. I put all the information together and found the on/off switch. You are right it was not the answer, but I had to find out whether it definitely was in the on position. I finally ran a test on my connection with the help of my ip and we determined that the mini wifi card was weak. I bought an external Trendnet card that plugs into the USB port and I'm happy to say that all is well again with my laptop.

Thank you again and a pleasant day to all.

8. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I would check the antenna connections on the internal wifi card. Sometimes these are not properly connected, which would explain the weak signal.

John