1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Where is the best place (online) to buy ASUS?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Charivari, Sep 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charivari

Charivari Notebook Evangelist

I want to buy the A8js when it comes out so a reseller that gets the latest stock fast is a must...even a good preorder list would be great.

Also I would like a quality, fast dependable reseller.

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks!

2. Sam

Sam Notebook Virtuoso

MilestonePC.com for Canada.
    NCIX.com also for Canada, specifically Western Canada.
    PROPortable.com

All great resellers. NCIX (Netlink) seems like the larger company, although larger isn't necessarily better.

3. Charivari

Charivari Notebook Evangelist

I am in the US Seattle specifically

4. stamar

stamar Notebook Prophet

The first companies to sell the a8jm in the us when it was released where these :

Newegg.com
    portableone.com
    zipzoomfly.com
    buy.com
    milestonepc.com

when the a8jm first reached NA it was for sale in canada only. These companies imported them for the us market from canada.

north american asus is in fremont. All of these companies are in fremont.... um.... no coincidence.

This MIGHT be useful information for the a8js.

I think you will have to be active and on it to get one of the first ones.

5. battlemage

battlemage Notebook Consultant

it depends if you want your laptop customized or not. places like zipzoomfly, newegg, and buy.com will not customize your laptop.

For customized laptops i recommend milestonepc (based in fremont, ca) or btotech (also known as geared2play, based in NY).

6. stamar

stamar Notebook Prophet

It is never intelligent to customize an ensemble unit. Nobody charges less than doing it yourself. You buy the ensemble, it comes in a box. If you want to pay someone to put ram into it for you you can.

Normally people figure this out a little quicker....

geared to play and milestonepc dont customize your notebook. they take it out of the box, charge you for a new hard drive put it in, keep your old hard drive or cpu and write you on their christmas list for being not so swift but very generous.

Just so you know >I< will customize your asus ensemble for you. And so will your neighbor larry down the street.

Asus ensembles come one way. Its hard to explain anything if basic math isnt clicking to someone...

7. Nrbelex

Nrbelex Notebook Deity NBR Reviewer

That's a little bit simplistic. Few of my most tech-savvy friends are eager to dive into the deep inner working of a laptop to upgrade the processor. Most shutter at the thought of removing the keyboard. When a reseller replaces something like that, the person asking for the modification can (usually) be sure that someone who knows what they're doing is opening the computer and not ripping and breaking stuff. If something does break, the consumer doesn't have to worry about it. They also offer their own warranties should something go wrong later since doing a mod on one's own would void Asus'.

~ Brett

8. stamar

stamar Notebook Prophet

Ok.

Obviously the world is not filled with rocket scientists.

As long as they know that is what they are paying for, literally nothing and transfering the warrantee to the dealer.

If they understand that and thats what they want then um... christmas list! Its love like that that makes the world go around!

if anyone is intimidated by replacing the HD of a laptop, but theyre willing to spend 1-2k on one anyway theres something wrong there too.

I mean this is the least of my worries lol its just that sometimes people make me shake my head so it wants to fall off.

Its not intelligent. If some people are in a position where they should do something thats not intelligent theres something going on that cant be addressed well in a message board scope.

9. battlemage

See thats the problem right there..youre talking about yourself. Your basing this entire argument on the fact that you have no problems fiddling with the internals of a laptop and that everyone else in the world should be the same. The reality is that many ppl, even some tech savvy individuals, dont want to do that for fear of breaking something accidentally. I dont understand why its not easy for you to see that. Plus I dont think you pay that much extra really but maybe thats my personal bias.

Also, for a hard drive and ram upgrade, the warranty is not transferred to a dealer.

I dont mean to be overly defensive or even antagonistic to your post. In fact, I do agree with you that every1 should know that there is an alternative to the resellers upgrading your laptop. But I think we all need to remember that when we make reccomendations to ppl, we shouldnt make any assumptions and we really need to try and stay away from our personal bias. Thats the only way were going to be able to give clear, objective advice.

10. Geared2play.com

Geared2play.com Company Representative

When asus decides not to honor their warranty because they modded their laptops they will wish the paid the pros who take over the warranty to do it for them.

11. stamar

stamar Notebook Prophet

I think its VERY important to point out to you and the average consumer, that no matter what a dealer says

Ensembles come one way, they arent customized.

My bias is only to educate you and so many people who could be fooled.

The bias of a dealer is obvious. All computer pages have a few places to 'check here if youre ignorant so we can juice you'

I think you can upgrade your hard drive and your ram yourself. Only physically handicapped people should have a problem with it. It is more difficult to change the game in your playstation.

Im going to start a support group.
    \
    Hehe and sorry if I insulted anyone I mean all I want is for people to take a minute to think. I dont think anyone who thinks it out is going to go that route what can I say.....

I mean.... how else am I going to say it. Non Iq challenging route?

I personally think even suggesting to someone to upgrade their ensemble is a con, attempting to take advantage of someones ignorance. Bordering on dishonest and not something I really want to take part in.

The ensemble comes one way. There is no changing it. That has to be clear, if something says something else it is relating bs right from the outset.

If you are the consumer who takes advantage of the wonderful service of having someone take the 100gb and 1gb out of your laptop keeping it and charging you full retail for more ram and a hd , then you are. Id just want to make sure you were first lol because I dont think most people really are I think most got a little confused somewhere along the line there.

12. battlemage

Im not your average consumer and I dont need to be educated on these matters. I can take apart and put together my laptop with no problems. I know well how the Asus ensemble system works and I know what im paying for when I pay for it. And i wasnt trying to fool anyone when i suggested some retailers can customize Asus notebooks.

Unfortunately youre still not getting it so ill say it again. Not everyone feels comfortable installing their own RAM/HD let alone replace their CPU. It doesnt matter if you say its easy, it wont magically make it easy for those who find it difficult. If Im talking about this from a personal perspective, I would say "yeah its easy, ive done it many times before". But im not trying to speak from my bias. Not everyone is like you or me. And you probably should start a support page, it could help those out there who are reluctant to fiddle with their notebooks. But the fact is that most people fall into the aforementioned category.

Thats a pretty radical view. And I definitely dont agree, mostly because of the implicit idea that resellers that offer such services are unethical/immoral. I hope that either danny or eddie will have a response for you.

13. jihoon

jihoon Notebook Evangelist

even if you can customize it yourself...
    first of all, you keep the warrenty
    and when you replace a component, what do you do with the old component?
    I would much rather pay a extra tip and let them get the component, replace it, discount the price of the older component, and cover the warrenty.
    In my case, even if I were to buy the components myself, I'd have to pay a big shipping handling fee cause I live in hawaii. Or.. I'd have to drive to the nearest retailer... some 20 miles away, pay for gas, after making sure the store has what I want, and research to see if its compatible. Then sell the older one on ebay or something...

Its much more convenient, already having everything done when you get it at your doorsteps. Pay a little extra, and you don't have to worry about anything.

14. tn159

tn159 Notebook Geek

Stamar, you are making a good point, but in making your point you are being a a-hole.

You don't have to make anyone and everyone that decides to do what you consider ignorant out to be someone of low IQ. You should try to be a little more open minded.

Who are you to decide if someone's action isn't intelligent? A couple bucks lost for the convenience and peace of mind of someone installing a hard drive or ram isn't something that SHOCKING.

Why is it that you feel the need to insult the people you are trying to educate? No one is going to listen to you if you go at it like that. You accused people of being not swift, of low IQ, not rocket scientists, and not knowing basic math.

Stop insulting people and just keep giving good advice please.

15. Katicflis

Katicflis Notebook Consultant

Aristotle was pretty good at math. In fact, he developed a mathematical theorem proving the existence of a creator. Despite this, I'm pretty sure he couldn't upgrade a harddrive.

Lolz. Aristotle was such a stupid noob. Can't even gut a notebook.

16. snh628

snh628 Notebook Consultant

I think you can upgrade your hard drive and your ram yourself. Only physically handicapped people should have a problem with it. It is more difficult to change the game in your playstation.

Well, I ran a race the other day and I'm doing a PhD, so I imagine that I'm not "handicapped" or have a low IQ, and I don't like to mess around with my computer. I think the problem is that you're speaking in such absolute terms that it makes people not want to listen to you. Sure, if people are comfortable doing mods themselves and understand the warranty implications, it might make sense for them to do it themselves. But that isn't necessarily the best course of action for everyone.

17. HEARTBREAKER

HEARTBREAKER Notebook Consultant

Well, I think that installing RAM and a HDD is very easy.

However, when it comes to installing a CPU and applying thermal paste to a laptop, that is not so easy.

If you want, you can take a look at the ACER forum where, although people were willing to open up their laptops to do this job, many of them had problems carrying it out.

For some of them, it didn't cool as well as it is supposed to, so they did it again and got it right.

How many people here have actually installed a CPU in a laptop anyways?

I haven't.

Just because you can stick in a HDD or a RAM unit, doesn't mean that you can do everything by yourself.

For example, installing an internal wireless card or an optical drive might be a hard task, depending on which laptop you are working with.

The S96J / Z96J has an optical drive that sits there with very small pins, so for example, that would be a hard one to install.

I was looking at how much it costs to buy a barebone and parts to install yourself vs. have it installed, and literally the difference is < $ 100. (About $90 to be specific).

For $90, you don't void your warranty, you don't have to look at a stupid guide to figure out why you have extra screws left, or you don't have to worry about whether or not you did the installation properly.

Is it worth it? Of course!

I think it would be worth it even if the only gain was the warranty, which costs a lot by itself.

18. qnz

qnz Notebook Enthusiast

changing the oil is my car is the easiest thing in the world to me. takes about 1/2 an hr max. but still, i would rather pay someone else to do it for me because i dont want to get my hands dirty, they take my old oil, and i have the money to spend.

some people might look at changing the HD and cpu the same way.

19. PROPortable

PROPortable Company Representative

Believe it or not, this thread went from a decent question to something completely different, but good in its own right...

The best way to look at it is like this....

1. as long as asus gets the system back in the configuration they brought that model into north america, your warranty is going to be intact without a doubt... unless you've broken a warranty sticker like on the cpu.

2. the difference between say a 1.8ghz and 2.0ghz cpu is nothing - so don't go and waste your money to pay for another cpu to swap yourself or pay a dealer to swap for a charge - because you'll never see the difference and you'll void your warranty right there.

3. hard drive and ram upgrades are easy and certainly can be done with little to no experience in short order..... Comparing an oil change to putting in a new hard drive or adding ram is actually a really good one.... Swapping a cpu could than we considered more like changing the spark plugs or something if you want to try to get the idea........ doing a full motherboard swap would then be something like pulling the engine. There are certain things you can do.... other things you could do and then things you can't. It's those things you "could do" that you need to decide if you should do them or let someone else do them.

Warranty is the least and most important thing you could be dealing with when it comes to a piece of electronics.... Either you're going to need it right a way and often, or never at all...... If you beleive in bad luck - voiding a warranty or not having one or not getting an extended warranty may not exactly be the best choice.... While some will never need it, others will and that's just the luck of the draw. One thing you have going for you is that Asus' systems are great and their motherboards are at the heart of the system and that alone should give you more confidence. I'm not saying a warranty isn't important - because it really, really is. However, there are some brands of electronics that you wouldn't buy without having a great warranty and there are others that you don't even care to check what the warranty is because their built well and have a very low fail rate.... Asus would be the later.

20. stamar

stamar Notebook Prophet

Thats cool.

I think you have to analyze the price of the service you provide justin.

I think you do, I dont think you or anyone in this forum misrepresents it.

Changing the cpu, ram and hd, or even the cpu, is giving you the dealer $100-200 straight cash ( based on just setting a 6 hour auction on ebay taking half price, for whoever needs a relative value, who cant figure out what to do with the extra peices) For something, all three upgrades back to back take half an hour maximum.

Thats in the $200-400 an hour range. And the phd student is hopefully studying to be a brain surgeon, then i understand completely. Because just your normal corporate lawyer cant afford a $400 an hour screwdriver operator.

Geniuses do ridiculous things. Its not that I think this is a bad idea. This is a TERRIBLE idea. LOL. Im sure all the people who think this is a good idea have a really good reason to do it. Ive just reviewed all of what you said and considered it carefully and I didnt find a good reason.....

I dont think MOST anyone that thinks it out is going to either. I dont suggest to someone to upgrade their ensemble through proportable geared2play milestonepc whoever because between all of them they represent what is a very poor value.
    \

Not to say they are not all great people, and the people who take their service in this area are not smart great people.

You are all great people and I feel so honored to chat with you all. LOL. No really. I have no angle on insulting people.

Im extremely consumer consious. Im buying an ensemble. I looked at that deal and I didnt say no thank you, I said no $%$# you. LOL. And I couldnt in good conscious tell anyone else to do differently, I dont even agree with any of the posters hypothetical situations. I dont like to waste hundreds of dollars, some people do obviously.

UPGRADE THE CPU YOURSELF, KEEP THE PART, DONT SCREW IT UP AND KEEP THE ASUS WARRANTY. WHAT YOU ALSO DONT GET IS THAT YOU ONLY LOSE THE ASUS WARRANTY BY PAYING THE DEALER. dont screw it up. look up how to do it all and do it. Thats the only advice I can give because their really is no alternative in my opinion.

Dont screw it up, dont advertise it. The money you save is actually in the range where you can purchase another warranty lol. Warranty the thing for 6 years. I mean Dont follow my advice just think about it. LOL I have confidence in you if you think about it.

IF any of you ARE physically handicapped, you have arthritis, you have poor vision etc.

ADI is going to make these dealers change the part for you for free, send you back your part charge you absolutely nothing and say thank you. I dont want to sound inconsiderate to people who would have a problem because they do exist a lot of them do. But I want to let them know not to be fooled either. I know exactly where to send an email if anyone is interested send me a pm.
    I think I needed to say that based on what I said earlier.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.