Where is it legal to work on your own car besides a garage?

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by visiom88, Jun 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. houstoned

houstoned Yoga Pants Connoisseur.

Reputations:
    lucky i can't speak my mind here because that is a real bogus neighbor. so in your HOA documentation, it says u can't even work on your OWN car in your OWN parking space??? i have never ran into such a irrelevant problem before. that neighborhood watch guy can go to hell.

i would've just held out my middle finger and told him to sit on it. then continue to finish up on my car. the only way some is going to tow my car away is over my dead body. the least i would do is go knock on that guy's door and ask him WTH his problem is.

2. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    Yeah that sounds like BS to me. Make him show you in the documentation of the HOA, and if its actually in there then I'd get it changed. Unless you can fit your vehicle around to the rear of your home. But I assume it wouldn't fit.

3. Yotsuba

Yotsuba Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Where in this hell hole of a state do you live? If you're near a military base and know someone who works there, you may be able to get them to rent you a bay at the base's auto shop and you can finish the work there. I know where I live, they don't care if you work on your car and I live in an apartment complex.

4. shadowarachh

shadowarachh Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    read the fine print. most times you can't run a car repair service or have non drivable vehicles just sitting there. simple maintenance not withstanding.

maybe he's misinterpreting the HOA to his own ends because he's an . i personally get the "edge your lawn" letters threatening legal action if i don't. they are more than welcome to drag me to court and try to take my house over my not edged lawn.

good luck and heres hoping you get your own garage :)

5. houstoned

houstoned Yoga Pants Connoisseur.

Reputations:
    i can understand HOA sending letters home to remind u to upkeep your lawn, and house.

this is a totally separate problem that shouldn't even be. sorry if i sound a bit "worked up", but i'm a home owner and something like this would not fly with me.

6. Rodster

Rodster Merica

Reputations:
    Walmart, Kmart, Sam's Club, Target parking lots are perfect when you need to work on your car. :)

7. visiom88

visiom88 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks for suggestions, everyone.

The neighborhood watcher in question is popular in the neighborhood for being a jerk: My next door neighbor once had his car towed because he parked his car in a visitor's lot for a few hours to allow a plumber to bring in a water heater, a lady had police called up on her house when he falsely accused her of abandoning a dishwasher on a sidewalk... he is just notorious. Although the HOA agreement states that only fluid-related works are prohibited, I just don't think it's worth it to mess with him.

Thankfully, a nearby gas station shop that I regularly go for inspections allowed me to finish my work in a corner of their parking lot. The manager even put a couple of orange safety cones around my work area so that people won't accidentally run over me. :)

8. talin

talin Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    That was very nice of him! :)

9. Thaenatos

Thaenatos Zero Cool

Reputations:
    Wow can work on your own car in front of your own house? What is the world coming to??? I personally work on my jeep in my driveway and the parking lot in front of my townhouse too. Not a lick of trouble so far, but then again most in my area leave a redneck like me alone unless Im driving by and not likely to stop on account of a comment yelled out.

10. Greg

Greg Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Find a few clauses in the HOA agreement that he's violating and give him a taste of his own medicine :D.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.