Where is Bluetooth in Win8?

Discussion in 'Alienware 14 and M14x' started by struselix, Jan 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. struselix

struselix Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey there.

I`ve just tried to find Bluetooth in my M14xR2. It is enabled in BIOS, it`s shown in "autoruns" but there`s no icon in the taskbar and I cannot connect any BT devices.
    Shouldn`t BT be active as soon as WiFi is active?
    In Win7 there was a windows popping up after FN-F3 asking to enable WiFi / BT. This is not available in Win8. Might this be the problem?

2. nuaron

nuaron Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    take your mouse cursor to either bottom right or top corner for the charms bar.

then click settings>change PC settings>Wireless> Bluetooth

toggle the switch on/off according to requirement

but make sure you have the BT drivers installed beforehand. I don't think it will work without the drivers.

3. struselix

Reputations:
    I tried this before but the switch is "read-only"...the switch is grey and I cannot change it.:confused:

4. doniGforce

doniGforce Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    try unistalling the driver and installing this one Bluetooth Software Download | Broadcom

5. struselix

Reputations:
    Is this one for the Killer card?

6. doniGforce

doniGforce Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    no this is for the Broadcom Bluetooth 375 module (shows as Dell 375 in device manager)(but I think it is universal for all Broadcom Bluetooth modules). But I have an R1 and just checked in the alienware website and now they have Bluetooth 4.0 (looks integrated with the intel or killer card). But maybe it still is as a separate module. Download that and try it. It will first check for compatible hardware and if there is none it will stop, no harm done.

7. struselix

Reputations:
    It does not work. No devices found.

8. doniGforce

doniGforce Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    in win 8 for me fn+f3 works when in desktop mode. check that. btw if you have intel Bluetooth check in their website (I always download drivers from device manufacturers (newer)). You have to enable Bluetooth adapter first than install the drivers. Edit: if you did a clean install of windows 8 and the fn+f3 doesn't show try the resource CD for alien OSD or something like that.

9. struselix

Reputations:
    What exactly happens if you hit FN+F3? Do you see a window or is just WiFi enabled?

As I have the Killer 1202 card, I don`t have Intel BT. It`s part of the Killer card.
    BT was always enabled in BIOS. As well before I started the Clean Win8 Install. I tried OSD Installation, twice. Nothing changed. I still cannot activate BT :(

10. doniGforce

doniGforce Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    fn+ f3 in desktip gives me the same old window with wifi,bluetooth,wireless HD....tick boxes. sorry I don't have a killer card but I think you should find a way to enable the hardware (should be in device manager) and than install the drivers. Have you looked at this one (should be newer drivers than the ones in the dell site :Killer Gaming :: Support :: Driver Downloads (just choose killer 1202, windows 8 64bit).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.