Where Does Apple Go From Here?

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by Cleonard, Oct 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigNerd

BigNerd Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Just read this excerpt where Steve Jobs took a shot at Ballmer:
    As far as I know, Tim Cook wasn't a salesperson so maybe that's why Steve Jobs picked him.

Although he's not as dynamic as Jobs, I think Cook may be just as driven. I find it interesting how his Auburn Commencement speech compares and contrasts to Jobs' speech at Stanford.

2. kornchild2002

kornchild2002 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Tim Cook wasn't a salesperson but he has been educated in both industrial engineering (at least I think that is what branch of engineering he was in, it could have been mechanical engineering) and business as he received a BS and then an MBA (which is what I plan on doing after getting my MS next year). Cook brought Apple up to modern manufacturing processes by having everything contracted out through China. He also changed the way Apple ordered their products so that they didn't end up having warehouses full of unsold products that were outdated. He essentially took what he did at Compaq and applied it to Apple (and then some).

So I think he is more business driven while Jobs focused more on the products and the people designing them. The nice thing is that the main people at Apple responsible for the designs of their products and the software that runs on them are still there. I think the difference between Steve and Tim is that Tim is going to lean more heavily on these people and he might actually give them credit whereas Jobs was quick to shoot down ideas only to present them the next day as his own. Jobs also wasn't afraid to go into the design studios to leverage his vision. I don't think Cook as attained that level of vision just yet but he has surrounded himself by the people who do.

So even over the next 5-8 years, I don't think Apple is going to get thrown off of their current path. The longterm is currently unknown and that all depends on who stays at Apple and who leaves. I think Apple will do just fine if Cook stays the course along with keeping Apple's current employee lineup. Things will change if the guy who designs Apple products leaves, the guy who heads iOS development leaves, and so on. Cook will keep Apple profitable because he is a good business man and I see him leaving the rest of Apple up to other employees.

3. Koopatrooper

Koopatrooper Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    THats a very interesting perspective and it makes great sense. Salesmen know how to sell and usually nothing else. But dont forget Jobs started apple with the Woz who was the "real" brains behind the apple OS. Jobs is really like Larry Ellison of Oracle a great great techie salesmen. Jobs is again the rare legendary exception to the general salesmen rule. Maybe Cook will do good but it depends on how cook judges "what people want" Jobs was godlike in knowing what people wanted.....Cook will be challenged

4. ral

ral Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Actually, not much of a problem between a 3.5-inch (320 x 480) and a 4.3-inch (480 x 800) with the same resolution does not cause a problem. Apps that work on one look fine on the other. No app I have used looks bad on a 4.3-inch screen. Apple apps would look fine on a 4.3-inch 640 x 940 iPhone too.

Now, 240 x 320, regardless of screen size does cause problems. Some Androdi apps wont scale down to that size.

It becomes an issue with 7-inch screens like out Samsung Galaxy Tab.

Laptops. With my MacBook Air I have an issue about not being able to adjust the sizes on fonts on tool bars. I can adjust font sizes in Finder, but not anywhere else. OSX at 13-inches is really best of at 1280 x 800.

Actually, if you want a smaller screen, you should be getting an iPhone 4S. You wont find any dual core Androids (from credible manufacturers) south of 4-inches.

Basically, the Android world had no direct competition for the iPhone 4S.

I hope you do not consider it in poor taste... but this is why I chose an Android.

[​IMG]

If Apple did come out with a bigger one, I might get one. iCloud + iPhone + MacBook Air make a nice combo. The Linux box is just a leftover I cannot sell so I keep.

5. ral

ral Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This is only partly true.

The question is do people buy iProducts:

1. Because they are good?
    2. Because they have an Apple in the back?
    3. Because they worship Steve Jobs.

I think it is number 1 and number 2. I mean, when we buy a Rolex watch we do know we are paying for the brand.

Steve Job's was a good showman. He knew how to change his mind without making it embarrassing. He did not know what the public wants. One example, Steve Jobs saw no need for an App Store.

From his bio:

“He didn’t want outsiders to create applications for the iPhone that could mess it up, infect it with viruses, or pollute its integrity.”

Apple board member Art Levinson and senior vice president of worldwide product marketing Phil Schiller were the ones who convince Jobs to change his mind.

Apple does have plenty good heads in that company. The reason why I think two or three years is a critical time. When you are successful, often times you get scared to innovate. Innovators like Nokia become naysayers. Microsoft got stuck on the desktop. So on...

6. wrightc23

wrightc23 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It's the clarity, coherence and vision that Apple will lose with Jobs passing. No doubt they'll still make high quality desirable objects.

Personally I'd like to see them head off in new directions, the worst thing they can do is to try and ape Steve Jobs leadership through a committee.

7. masterchef341

masterchef341 The guy from The Notebook

Reputations:
    short term future predictions: expanding icloud, bringing ios and mac OS X together.

they'll probably set up XCode to cross compile for OS X and iOS pretty soon here as they begin to share more and more APIs, and lock down the OS X app store further, to make it more like the iOS app store. OS X will still remain open in the sense that you can install apps from 3rd party sources if you choose to do so. One of the big magical things that iOS can do is delete applications cleanly. They'll have to lock down the OSX app store a bit more to get that type of functionality, but that'll come.

SSDs in all mobile devices (including notebooks) as iCloud expands and provides storage compensation for more data, and SSD prices drop. Heavy reliance on internet connections. 4g cell networking in all macbooks and iOS devices.

No more disc drives in notebooks. The 13" macbook pro and air are going to merge and become one device (basically they'll drop the 13" macbook pro). The 15" will get a redesign, look more like the macbook air, trade the space where the disc drive and 2.5" HDD used to be with a slightly thinner form factor and slightly bigger battery, SSD chip without housing ala macbook air, etc.

You're still going to see smallish SSDs for now, just because they are still expensive. With time, their prices will drop.

The iPad will adopt a hybrid IPS / e-ink (color e-ink?) display. It's possible the iPhone will also adopt such a screen... You'll certainly get a 4x res iPad 2048x1536 pretty soon, along with a 4g chip from Sprint / Verizon / ATT- possibly a hybrid (consolidated) 4G chip. As it stands now, with sprint on-board, you're looking at potentially 24 different iPad variants. I think they'll work hard to minimize some of those choices. (wifi only/sprint/verizon/att, white/black, 16GB/32GB/64GB). Again, I think they'll consolidate all the cell tech and bring the choices down to white/black and 16GB/32GB/64GB of storage space. If the hybrid chip is expensive (it may be) they may still offer a wifi only iPad.

Eventually apple will drop the wifi only iPads, as well as cell phone company variant iPads, and restore order to their lineup by adopting the aforementioned predictions. I'm not sure what they're going to do as far as securing networking deals with cell phone companies. Probably no imminent changes.

It's a little bit far to think about Apple buying one of the cell phone companies, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised. As their cloud operations expand, they're going to want more control of the networking infrastructure.

That's where apple is headed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.