Where Does Apple Go From Here?

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by Cleonard, Oct 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cleonard

Cleonard Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Steve Jobs was undeniably a major force behind the product innovation and development at Apple Computer for more than three decades. His vision extended the boundaries of desktop and notebook computers, and blazed new trails in mobile phones and tablet computers. With his passing, however, Apple enters a new phase as it seeks to maintain its position as a technology pioneer and fend off increasing competition across multiple product areas. Do you think Apple will go through significant changes six months, a year, or five years from now? Will the absence of Steve Jobs have an impact on product design and innovation?

2. Wally33

Wally33 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Personally, I think it has already impacted apple somewhat. It seems as though there have been no standout 'innovations' in the last 12 months or so. Apple is now arguably only just keeping up, if not behind in the smartphone market after the release of the iPhone 4s. With everyone expecting an iPhone 5, the people will only wait so long for Apple to begin releasing more of the products we are so used to before changing their loyalty to other manufacturers, as many already have.

In short, it would seem that Apple have already been brought back down to earth as far as technology goes, with the advancement of the tech by manufacturers like samsung and asus. If Apple don't release something new soon they will likely see a reduction of growth and slip back into the midst of other manufacturers. Perhaps soon their only selling point will be OSX and an aesthetic design.

3. no1up

no1up Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I hate to say it, but I switched to the galaxy s II and I LOVE IT!!! I could see Siri on MBP or MACs being a big deal... She needs to be smarter, but siri would bring in a new wave of people to mac computing.

4. masterchef341

masterchef341 The guy from The Notebook

Reputations:
    I haven't noticed any major changes to Apple over the last year. They weren't ever being constantly massively innovative. They had the iPhone in '07 and the iPad in '10. They released some interesting software in the meantime. It's '11 now. We've got an iOS style app store on Mac OS X. We've got some cloud computing going on. I'm not sure how much innovation you expect.

OS X and aesthetic design have been the primary selling points of Mac computers for years. They aren't usually cost competitive per component with their competitors, except sometimes right when they are released - if they line up with a new major hardware revision and everyone has premium prices. Pretty much the same situation today.

The 4S did take a lot of time to get out and was a pretty modest revision - but the spec bump was significant, it's still a very small smartphone for the amount of power it has. It has basically the fastest processor you can cram into a phone (similar to other high end dual core smartphones), and it has excellent graphics performance, even compared to other high end phones. The screen resolution is still high compared to the market. I think they may have held out a bit for lower power 4g chips that didn't pan out. Anyway, no major changes to Apple as of yet. iPad is still dominating the tablet market. I guess we'll see what happens with the iPad 3. If they find a way to get a hybrid IPS / e-ink display, they'll be 101% win in my book.

I think their next big thing will be to convince everyone to buy an apple TV. I can't imagine them dropping the price anymore, but it's possible. Even at $99 they might partner with content providers, or maybe add it as an iOS platform to the app store and it will become a game console. That might convince people. Or they might start selling premium TVs with Apple TV imbedded and call it something silly like iTV.

5. aredkid

aredkid Newbie

Reputations:
    True to Apple culture, I don't believe we will see any changes that may or may not happen within Apple.

Though Steve Jobs is not there, his personality is part of Apple now, so some of it will always remain. But with a new head honcho, Apple will grow with new personality. We have to agree that Steve Jobs would not hand pick Tim Cook without deep understanding of what it would mean for Apple. And I believe it is for Apple to certainly change, but grow nonetheless, with a flavour of Steve Jobs.

The personality of Tim Cook and decisions already show, he kept Apple on track with the iPhone 4S. He wasn't afraid to tell us that he will be just as amazing a CEO.

So where will Apple be in the next 6 months? It will (I hope) keep steady on track.

In a year most products will go through another cycle. Apple designers and engineers will innovate and surprise us. iPhone 5 will change everything. Again. Again. ;)

Five years is a long time and the world of technology can and might change drastically and this is where the challenge will be. How Apple copes and morphs with these changes will determine Tim Cook's performance and Apple's adherence to Steve Jobs' legacy of taking the self-assured lead and not the back seat.

We'll just wait and see. That's the exciting part!

6. kornchild2002

kornchild2002 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I don't think there is going to be much change at Apple. It has been turned into a well oiled machine that will take a mighty force to push off of its current track. Apple has done a lot this year with the iPad 2 (which was an even bigger success than the first one), OS X Lion, spec bumps in their various Mac lines with newer Intel hardware, iOS 5, development and implementation of iCloud, and so on. The only disappointment for many people was with the iPhone 4S but that was because the phone didn't live up to their unbelievable expectations that didn't fit with what Apple had previously done (i.e. iPhone 3G -> iPhone 3GS -> iPhone 4 -> iPhone 4S -> iPhone 5).

With the iPhone 4S, many people are focusing on the specs and saying that Apple is playing catchup. Well, in the smartphone market, pretty much everyone is catching up to Google. Google took the MS approach with Android by allowing many different hardware manufacturers to install their software on their devices. Now Android is the dominant smartphone OS. That still doesn't change what Apple is going to do. As I said, everyone was focusing on the specs. "It's just now getting a dual-core processor?" "Meh, meh, meh, I needz meh quad-kores!" What they are forgetting is that Apple's processors have almost always performed above and beyond when compared against the competition (i.e. the A4 beat out other single-core processors in its field and the A5 in the iPhone 4S seems to be doing the same in early benchmarks) but that doesn't really matter. Apple has never been about having the latest and greatest hardware but, when it comes to iOS, they have always been about providing the best content.

The iPad and iPad 2 weren't successful because they had nice hardware in them. In fact, the iPad had less RAM than other Android tablets that were out at the time. Instead they have been very successful because they provided the best app and media consuming environments along with iOS being extremely easy to use.

I don't think that is going to change in the future as Apple's install base is way too high at this point so developers will continue to provide better app experiences (at least for the iPad line) on Apple's devices. As I said, it is going to take a lot to derail Apple from their current path and I don't think the untimely passing of Steve Jobs is going to change that. He set Apple up and now Cook is in the driver's seat to stay the course. Apple will continue to be Apple so long at Tim Cook and everyone else use the "Apple approach" started by Jobs long ago. People need to continue doing things Apple's way and everything will be fine. Apple will go downhill (much like in the 90's) if Tim Cook and others start following what other companies have done (which I don't think will happen).

7. ral

ral Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    One thing about the iPhone 4S launch felt so not very Steve Job's like. Launching Siri as a beta. Has Apple has ever released beta on its hardware before?

The iPhone 4S was a solid update, even without Siri on it. What it is really lacking for me at least is a larger display and I do not know if the majority of iPhone buyers really want a larger phone, so you cannot say that maintaining the current size puts it behind the curve or anything.

TIA

8. masterchef341

Reputations:
    Yeah it's sort of silly when apple releases a handset that is on the small side for smartphones (which are getting annoyingly large), on the long side of battery life, and the best processor performance by a small margin, and best graphics performance by a larger margin, excellent camera (one of the best, certainly better than most competitors, with the likely exception of nokia) - and people think Apple is about to fall into oblivion because their hardware expectations were set so high.

I guess the main thing people were looking for was 4G. Then it could have been called the iphone 4GS. That one is coming next. Money on that. Also, the next number coming to the iPhone is 7!

iPhone -> iPhone 3G (3G for network, not generation) -> iPhone 3GS (S for speed, performance update) -> iPhone 4 (major revision, 4th generation) -> iPhone 4S (S for speed again, performance update) -> iPhone 4GS (4G network) -> iPhone 7?!?!! (major revision, 7th generation)

9. Koopatrooper

Koopatrooper Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I think that Jobs has laid out the plans for apple for the next 3-4 years. So I am not worried for apple that much. If they stick to what their modo has been then they will be ok and always towards the top.
    The way I see them failing is really in the hands of Cook. What kind of Leader will he be? Will he make all the decisions or will it be a team process?
    Apple suffered when there was a team approach so I have a feeling Cook will need to be a Tyrant.....mainly what Jobs was to get things done. Now Nobody can step in a be a Legend like Jobs but Cook will need to take the bull by the Horns if not he will be out quickly.

I already thought that there were versions of the iphone4 out already that were 4g compatible. I think that the mentality of apple will never be to name anything after the "Norm" like the iphone4G...this would be cheesy in mac people's eye.
    Apple since my experience getting an iphone in 2007 has always been setting the standards. Droids might be great speed and some performance enhancements but even with all the BIG Tech Specs its still not an iphone 3 or 4g...it doesn't matter. So for the future Apple will stick to what they always do and set the "bar" and other companies will ALWAYS follow.

10. masterchef341

Reputations:
    They seem to have respected some type of naming convention so far. It's not really cheesy, it's just a name.

I think iPad is cheesy for a name. In fact iAnything is a little cheesy. Oh well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.