Where do you fill up and what level fuel?

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by Colton, Aug 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. burkle25

burkle25 Are you a color?

Reputations:
    Vons .. 3cents off every gallon
    and regular

I used to go to Arco, but I avoid since they added the 45 cent credit charge

2. Levenly

Levenly Grappling Deity

Reputations:
    93 Octane at BP / Sunoco (or 100 octane at the Super Sunocos :D) in the GT as it requires it unless i want to melt my engine.

i use regular in all of my other vehicles, but i generally only go to BP or Sunoco, or Wawa / Royal Farms if there is nothing else on the road.

3. Colton

Colton Also Proudly American

Reputations:
    How does everybody feel about ethanol?

I personally dislike it because of the drop in MPG's it gives. Plus, it's taking food and turning it into a fuel. Not good.

4. Levenly

Levenly Grappling Deity

Reputations:
    i'm not too enthused about it either, though i feel it has pretty good potential in becoming much more useful in the future.

i mean, methanol alchy mixes are used as an alternative to NO2 because it burns cooler.

5. YorkerBH

YorkerBH Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Clark actually uses gas all similar to Shells grades except for the special V-Powered one. They price cheaper because the franchise has died out. We own a Clark Gas Station that we made into Independent, but we are going to reconstruct into Shell. ;)

6. MrX8503

MrX8503 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I couldn't have said this better myself.

Don't ever use a lower octane than what is stated as required in your manual. Knocking is very bad for your engine and its not worth it to save a few bucks.

As to answer the OP. I only use 93 octane from wherever I can get it. Mainly shell gas station though. And no, I don't use 93 cause I think I get more power or better gas mileage. I use it because my car requires it.

I once went to an old speedway and their premium was 91 octane. Pissed me off cause their 91 cost as much as other gas station's 93.

7. narsnail

narsnail Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    91 at Shell, or 94 at Sunoco, depends which im closest too. The Sunoco 94 is the same price as the Shell 91 for some reason, doesnt matter to me.

8. Modly

Modly Warranty Voider

Reputations:
    Are you talking about ethanol as an additive (ie: 10%), or as the main fuel (ie; E85)?

As an additive, I think it's fantastic. The old additive was pretty nasty stuff.

As a fuel (E85), it is getting the wrong image. The problem is that the engines can run efficiently on one fuel only with a static compression ratio, so it will obviously run worse on one of the two fuels. If it ran on ethanol only, it could obtain similar MPG ratings or better (it is higher octane, so it can fuel a very high compression engine, which can provide more power with the same amount of fuel).

We can also create ethanol out of so much more than just corn, most of which isn't a popular food source, and can be grown in much denser quantities per acre... But it doesn't seem to happen.

9. Azone

Azone Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You know the main benefit I've seen with ethanol? High compression engines leading to the Koenigesegg CCXR. :D

10. stewie

stewie What the deuce?

Reputations:
    CCXR FTW! Flower power! :D

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.