Where are all of the X60 Users?

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by bigwormie, Feb 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigwormie

bigwormie Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys I have been browsing these forums frequently for a couple of months and see very few posts about the x60 machines. To those of you who own them, are you happy with them? Or is it that very few people own them in comparison to some of the other machines discussed here?

2. Andrew Baxter

Andrew Baxter -

Reputations:
    I know there's a few that own them around here, skibunny spent a lot of time researching and then buying an X60. I've used the X60s and X60 tablet. I loved them both for the review period I had them. Fewer own ultraportables than the mainstream size ThinkPads but there's definitely some here. If you have specific questions, just ask.

3. sprucebeach

sprucebeach Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I second bigwormie's question. I've been using a 5.8-pound laptop with a 14-inch-display for several years, and I find it kind of heavy to carry around in a bag, take out and set up in front of me during a meeting, etc. It's not that I'm too weak to carry it, but it's the 700-pound gorilla in any small, flexible carry bag, and I'd like something smaller and lighter.

For me the X60 seems to have a lot going for it -- no touchpad, a keyboard light, no optical drive to save weight, matte-finish display, non-wide-angle display (so I can keep business private). Yet it doesn't seem to be that popular and there's little discussion about it here. I'd really like to know what those who regularly use an X60 think about it.

I do have one question has that has been asked recently but not fully answered. If the hard drive failed could I reinstall Windows Vista from a USB DVD drive using the restore DVD's that I created?

4. sp00n

sp00n Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes, the x60s can boot USB external optical drives.

I'll be buying a x60s with Vista soon.

5. bigwormie

bigwormie Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well, I am basically just trying to determine if people who have purchased this machine like it. With something like the t series there is a lot of discussion that goes back and forth to help someone determine if it is the right machine for them. But this does not seem to be the case with the x60.

Thanks for those who posted feedback.

6. johnny0001

johnny0001 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The only reason that stopped me from getting an X60 is that it only has an integrated graphics card. If you do a lot of graphics design and photo editing, an integrated card may not be enough.

For an ultraportable, this is definately the very best in that category.

It has everything that is essential for businesses. It even has firewire which I don't think the T60 has.

7. net80

net80 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Don't know what it is with my x60 but everytime I go outside and try to connect at a hotspot the lap goes crazy. It freezes up, all the icons on the screen start refreshing, then I have to remove the battery and reboot. Must be a wireless problem. IE also freezes up a lot but not when I use mozilla so thats software issue. I should just dump evrything and do a fresh reinstall. The store had their own programs and software on this lap when I bought it.

Aisde from that, this is a very nice ultraportable. battery lasts long enough, right side of handrest gets just slightly hot but doesn't bother me. I must have been dreaming when I was shopping for a lap but I kept thinking this one had firewire.

8. johnny0001

johnny0001 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It does have firewire. on the right side

9. Andrew Baxter

Andrew Baxter -

Reputations:
    And it has an SD card reader which the T60 doesn't have (and drives me *crazy*). Sad to say, but the port selection on the X60 is better than the T60 for my needs.

10. alois

alois Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    X60s user here..very happy indeed. great little machine!
    basically, i can find nothing wrong with it, after a few months, and im picky...
    touch wood.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.