When you close the lid

Discussion in 'Dell' started by kylerg, Aug 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. s4iscool

s4iscool Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  2. shadow85

shadow85 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Haha, I been waiting so long for someone to share my problem. My 15.4 at 1680x1050 does that too. Except mine is a ati graphics card. I am beginning to think that its only the high resolution that do this. I also have a 9300 but its at 1440 resolution and doesnt have any problem. I am guessing, on a 15.4 1280 resolution, there is not problem.

3. mjpartyboy

mjpartyboy Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hello CvcDrk!

jcaulley beat me to it:
    I have "When I close the lid of my portable computer" set to "Do nothing" and this turns my screen off when it's closed/nearly all the way down without affecting the notebook's state.

4. Reaper21

Reaper21 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys,

Sorry to bring this thread back but it seemed like a good place for my question. Long story short, i got my motherboard replaced by Dell becuase it was faulty but now when i shut the screen of my laptop the screen doesn't turn off, does anyone know how to make it so it will turn off again? (i have an inspiron 9400). Thanks

5. mm2ha

mm2ha Newbie

Reputations:
    I have the XPS M1210 and have the same problem. Anybody figured out what can be wrong?

6. lancorp

lancorp Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I posted this info in another thread here, but the fix (for most people), is a registry edit:

The solution is to modify LidBehavior registry value in nvidia card registry key from 0x11 to 0x10:
    1. Open registry editor (Run->regedit)
    2. Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video registry key
    There are several subkeys composed of random hexadecimal numbers. Each of those subkeys have its own subkeys 0000 and 0001. Find the key corresponding to the nvidia card. This is the key whose 0000 and 0001 subkeys contain a lot of values (such as individual games settings etc)
    3. In 0000 subkey, find LidBehavior value. On my system, its default value is 11 (hexadecimal). Change it to 10 (hexadecimal)
    4. Reboot

Hope it works for you. It did for me on my M1710!!

7. jcaulley

jcaulley Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Awesome post lancorp. Worked like a charm on my 9300. Glad you posted that because I spent the last 2 hours searching the registry looking for that and hadn't found it yet. All my icons stay in place now.

8. s4iscool

s4iscool Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    no negative side effects from this reg change?

9. shadow85

shadow85 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    what about ati?

10. Sucka

Sucka Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    When i close the lid on my E1405 the resoliution changes and the icons move as well. I find this to be one of, if not the most annoying problems i've encountered. I have a fresh install, latest Dell supplied drivers, and still i have this issue. I really love this notebook, but it's just about enough to make me send it back. I am sick or moving icons and resizing windows every time i close the lid. I can't beleive how many people have this problem with no official fix from Dell.

Anyone have a fix for this on my particular model?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.