1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

When is a laptop too heavy?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by MellowG, Jun 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. surfasb

surfasb Titles Shmm-itles

Reputations:
    I figure I'm going to have mountains of pages of notes to search through. Plus I can't memorize everything. I might as well get use to taking notes on a computer cause that's what I'm going to be doing as I get older.

2. Dire NTropy

Dire NTropy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I carry my 5.7lb (+mouse and powerbrick) to work everyday (~15 minute walk) and its no problem. A good bag can make all the difference. IMO using a dumbbell is not a good way to tell if you can handle a weight. I'd suggest using books in a backpack to determine whether or not you can handle it.

3. meh

meh Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My thoughts:

Anything from 5 to 5.9 pounds is okay and decent for a business notebook. Thin-and-light 14" business notebook is the way to go (I've been using an old Latitude D600 for the last 6 months everyday at high school - no problems.)

Anything that you can find for under $1500 at a retail store (ie Best Buy, Future Shop, etc) is usually underpowered and overpriced for what it is. I cannot see why a T5550, 3GB of RAM, WXGA+ glossy (ewwww in classroom environment) and a 250GB hard drive AS WELL as integrated graphics can cost close to $1500. At that price, you can likely get a Dell Latitude D630 with a T9300, Quadro NVS 135M, ___ GB RAM, equivalent or larger hard drive, bluetooth, fingerprint reader, WXGA+ matte, anything else, and you will end up with a more usable machine than the 17" tank because it is more portable, feels better in the hand (15-17" laptops make my hand really tired when supporting the laptop with one hand and typing with the other, probably because of the position.) and has better battery life too. Keyboard is also more comfortable to use on business-grade notebooks (on Dells, it's 6.5 row, ThinkPads have full 7 row keyboard.) Unless you're doing hardcore number entering, I don't really see what can't be done with a businessgrade laptop's keyboard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.