When Apple criticism goes too far

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by Felix_Argyle, Oct 5, 2019.

1. electrosoft

electrosoft Tick Tock Clarice....

Reputations:
    No, they do not. :(:mad:

Apparently you need some reading comprehension too.

The part you cut from my post acknowledges Louis most likely knew why the design was as is but his anti Apple posts are sometimes to his own detriment:

I doubt you read the notebookcheck review before your initial post. If you did, you would not have made a note to point out the 7w TDP while the notebookcheck review clearly shows it exceeding 7w even in single threaded runs and more than doubling to 15w in dual core runs before hitting a ceiling and throttling.

I've actually used a 2019 Macbook Air and the heat generated above the function keys is much higher than any other notebook I've used in recent times. Depending on user, it borders on being uncomfortable. Apple should have either implemented a proper cooling system to compensate for the larger TDP than rated OR capped the pull. Of course if they capped it to 7w (as you pointed out :p), it would perform at best on par with the older models or even worse so.................

Look, I get your argument is that Louis, either for mock indignation, views, true ignorance or an amalgamation of all three, incorrectly pointed out the rhyme and reason the system didn't use a traditional piped cooling system.

You could have left it at that, "Hey, Louis failed to realize the system is working as intended by Apple (warts and all)," but your added extra fodder to your message which opened you up to criticism.

TheReciever likes this.
  2. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    The original xbox 360 cooling designs used something similar to this arrangement. Needless to say, it did not work out so well for early revision 360s. This is still poor design in my book.

electrosoft likes this.
  3. IntelUser

IntelUser Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This isn't TDP being misleading.

7 to 15W gap is quite large. Some manufacturers may have wanted doing out of the stated specifications. So since Intel is the one making chips, they can do whatever they want with it and allow it to run higher.

For example the XPS 2-in-1 is at 9W TDP.* But no such numbers exist in datasheets. So Intel is allowing customization beyond simple datasheet numbers.

Laptops are going to get more and more custom work done as time passes by, because unlike on a desktop, the CPU/GPU aren't the only stars of the show. The entire device has to be considered.

*Also as cooling solutions get better and more advanced, they will always try to push the envelope. That means on one hand you'll see smaller, thinner, lighter devices. On the other hand you'll see push for more performance.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  4. electrosoft

electrosoft Tick Tock Clarice....

Reputations:
    *Scratches noggin*

I never said it was. o_O

5. carlodelmazo

carlodelmazo Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I like him because of his interesting fixing videos and such, but sometimes gets to annoying with the apple hate tbh

6. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    His first videos about fixing things were really good. Now he's just annoying as (insert word here). I don't watch anything he puts up anymore.

saturnotaku and TheReciever like this.