1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

When Am I Legally 21?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by DanG, Mar 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanG

DanG Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I live in the U.S. and turn 21 on March 10th. I remember back in high school my law teacher said that you are legally 21 and can purchase alcohol the day before your birthday (March 9th). Is this true?

Second, is this common knowledge? Will I be given a hard time by whoever I buy alcohol from on the 9th?

Thanks

2. MYK

MYK Newbie NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Not really sure, but you can try and sue if someone gives you trouble! :p

Disclaimer: I don't drink and am totally against it.

3. tphilly1984

tphilly1984 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    lol if you try and they ask for ID and you are only 20 then they could get in trouble for selling to someone under the age? Just come to the UK and drink when you're 18!!

4. Gautam

Gautam election 2008 NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    As per US laws, you need to be of age (21 in all 50 states) to purchase and/or consume alcohol. I don't believe there is any Birthday-eve rule...and I wouldn't attempt it, either.

5. DanG

DanG Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I realize the laws but I dont know why my teacher would just lie to me. I guess its not a big deal because I just have to wait another day.

6. Elminst

Elminst The Cable Guy

Reputations:
    Maybe they were talking about how you turn 21 as of midnight?
    So if you go out to a bar on march 9 and stay till until 12 AM (whereby it is now the 10th) you can walk up to the bar and say, "it's my birthday!!" and many places you'll get a free drink!

But legally, 20 is not 21.

7. DanG

DanG Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    No she specifically said "the day before your birthday." Maybe she meant like you said after midnight. Maybe I misunderstood her.

8. MYK

MYK Newbie NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    It does make sense. The day before your 21st birthday, you have officially live a full 21 years. On your birthday, your 21 years old + 1 day. Your birthday is the first day of your 22nd year.

9. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    i want to get drunk now

and hold on a sec. you need to be 21 to consume alcohol in US?!?! wow

that is OOOOoooold.

10. Thibault

Thibault Banned

Reputations:
    Yeah I know.
    I thought 19 in most provinces in Canada was bad.

It's 18 in Quebec (where I was born) and my parents were okay with me drinking way before that anyway.

11. moon angel

moon angel Notebook Virtuoso NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    18 to purchase legally in the UK but legal to consume way earlier depending on the situation.

12. DanG

DanG Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thats exactly what she said. Anyone else?

Thanks

13. Elminst

Elminst The Cable Guy

Reputations:
    Actually that's not true.
    You have not lived 21 years until the END of that day. At which point you turn 21.
    Until then, you are 20 yrs, 364 days, X hours. You can't count it until it's complete.

(if you want to be really pedantic, you turn 21 at the time of your birth on your birthday, but that's just being silly. ;) )

14. DanG

DanG Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yea I just got an email back from the police and their entire response was "no." Thought that was a little rude. I guess my teacher was mistaken.

15. JimyTheAssassin

JimyTheAssassin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Ya , and if you want to be really exact.. you need to pass your birth hour on said day to be a full 21 years..Unless you want to backdate your age to your conception in the womb.

In either case this is null and void unless you have an I.D. with out UNDER 21 on it. You can be denied by anyone if you use your old I.D., plus the fact that it expires when you turn 21 unless you've had it replaced previously. Some people may still serve or sell to you, but by law they're not supposed to.

16. DanG

DanG Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My license says under 21 but it doesnt expire until 2015. Is this ok?

Since I wont get my new license without under 21 for probably another week I dont think they can deny me. If they did then you cant actually get alcohol until upon receiving your new license which would be after your birthday. So I think if your birthday is within a month from when your buying alcohol they cant deny you because its not your fault the dmv doesnt get your license to you sooner.

17. LFC

LFC Ex-NBR

Reputations:
    Well that's one thing UK > US for then! 18 legally drink here :) Much ado about nothing this post... just thought I would put it out there :D And we can learn to drive at 16, with going for the proper licence at 17

Edit: many posted already. But doesn't hurt to emphasise the point :p :rolleyes:

18. DanG

DanG Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I got my license at 16 and had a permit at 15.

19. hollownail

hollownail Individual 11

Reputations:
    Well, I live in a college town and have heard this alot. I didn't try it when I turned 21 so many years ago, but yah, I've heard it works from several people. go call your ABC store and ask them.

And DanG, they will look at your birthdate. Every place understands that you dno't get your license renewed on your 21st (seems like that would be a good exp time to me...). So you're all good there.

But for you Canadian and Europe people... do you guys have as big of a problem with teen alcoholism as the US does? and huge numbers of drunk drivers and accidents/deaths caused by that? I think a large part of our problem is that with the drinking age so high, everyone feels it's the "adult" thing to do and go get blitzed. I think if everyone grew up around alcohol the way some other countries do, it would be less of a problem... but thats just me.

20. JimyTheAssassin

JimyTheAssassin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Is it okay?, yes because it's not expired. But you can still be denied. Alcohol is a privilege, not a right. You can also bring your printed temp, if you had such a thing.. and it won't help. Infact you can have a perfect license and still be denied (though it's either because they don't like you.. or you're already drunk). It's just too easy to chalk/fake most licenses. I know because I used to bartend in NY state. Some states have different laws on the subject.

But like I said, it's sometimes allowed to pass if you're nice and convincing. But anyone who serves/sells knows it's at least Half of their butt if they serve a minor. In NY it's also half the minors responsibility too.

Note: I no longer bartend because I have a better job now..not cause I served a minor and got busted =P