What's Your Opinion on Using Cell Phones While Driving?

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by visiom88, Aug 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    My seatbelt ticket was $470, so that may not be the best comparison. Plus I live in California. Their fine and bail schedule is outrageous to begin with.

2. Ajfountains

Ajfountains Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Should be the same fines/sentencing as it is for drunk driving. Talking (and even worse, texting) on a cell phone while driving is the dumbest muffafluffing thing you can do besides driving under the influence. Any call/text that important is something you should pull over for. A good friend of mine almost lost his leg when some stupid little tart smashed into his bike with her SUV, all because she was texting.

PUT THE PHONE DOWN AND DRIVE IDIOTS.

/rant over

3. Qing Dao

Qing Dao Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I think this stuff is really stupid. Because there are already laws out there for inattentive driving. If I am on my phone and cause an accident because I wasn't paying attention, how is it any different if I am playing with radio or looking out for hunnies and cause the very same accident?

I had an accident one time where I hit another car. It was because I was waving to some friends and didn't see that the light turned red and the person in front of me slammed on their brakes. I was hit with a ticket for inattentive driving. But if I had been on my phone, paying attention, didn't cause an accident, yet a police officer saw me and pulled me over, my head should be served on a platter? It doesn't make any sense.

Ah, wow. Welcome to the Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia! Let's settle on $35 for each and call it a day?

4. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    Cell phone laws are just a knee jerk reaction to all the teen drivers (Yes! It's teens who do it the most!) paying more attention to their text messages than to the road. The laws in Cali prevent drivers from text messaging and force us to use hands free devices when making calls. I agree wholeheartedly with the both legislations. It's the amount of the fines that I take exception to. In San Diego county, the courts add $31 for every $10 of the base fine amount (http://www.sdcourt.ca.gov/pls/portal/docs/PAGE/SDCOURT/CRIMINAL2/CRIMINALRESOURCES/BAIL_SCHEDULE.PDF) and the city of Escondido added their own $50 penalty. The base fine for my cell phone ticket was $70 (they've since lowered it to $20) so (7*31)+70+50= $337. That's what I paid for the cell phone ticket. Add in the fact that I'm a commercial driver so the ticket counted as one point even though the law states cell phone violation counts for no points (any violation for a commercial driver counts as one point and we cannot go to traffic school) and that's enough to make anyone pissed off.

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia indeed. Leave your wallet with the guards. We will figure out a reason to take all your money, even if it's not a good one! Promise! :D

5. Ajfountains

Ajfountains Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I actually don't fear teens using cellphones as much as I fear the baby-boomer generation (50's and up) trying to use their iphones while driving.

You cannot pay full attention to the road while talking on a cell phone. You're actually using two different sides of the brain - the right side of your brain for spatial perception (driving) and the left side of your brain for language. I'm making an oversimplified example, but it holds true.

The fact is though that it is not ever necessary to talk on the phone while driving. If the conversation is that important, pull over. The only exception would be if you need to call for emergency services or you're being chased by a lunatic in a semi truck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.