What's Your Opinion on Using Cell Phones While Driving?

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by visiom88, Aug 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ajkula66

ajkula66 Courage and Consequence

Reputations:
    My presumption would be that the lower premiums are a "bait"...it's extremely easy to raise them after the first - let alone the fifth - fender-bended has occured...:D

In my entire lifetime, I can count on one hand the women who didn't make me feel uncomfortable as a passanger while they were driving...

2. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    I once saw a lady on the phone in front of me, and she turns INTO oncoming traffic, swerves and drives 2 miles on the median.

3. tijo

tijo Sacred Blame Super Moderator

Reputations:
    You also have to look at the type of accidents and damages to the car. I haven't looked up the stats as a whole, but accidents resulting in death are mostly caused by men, i'd say the same is likely for accidents resulting in major car damages that will incur higher repair costs. Look up the stats in the 16-24 age group and the % of men causing important accidents is even larger.

4. houstoned

houstoned Yoga Pants Connoisseur.

Reputations:
    yeah...women might be less aware on the road, but it's the males that do the dumb stuff. :p i guess our more aggressive nature translates into our driving as well.

the chances of catching a female street racing or driving at 100+ mph is pretty low.

5. visiom88

visiom88 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    One thing is for sure: Women can't park.

6. Johnmcl7

Johnmcl7 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I don't use the phone at all when driving either in my hand or hands free, I don't think it's the same as talking with a passenger as when you're talking to someone in the car they're also aware of what's going on around you and will automatically stop talking at any point they think they may be a distraction whereas someone on the phone has no idea of your situation and may carry on talking when it can be a distraction. Yes you can tell them to stop talking but I don't think it's quite so easy mid conversation.

In the UK being convicted or accepting a fixed penalty notice for using your phone carries three points for your license, 12 points and it's an automatic ban so the punishment is reasonably severe and even more so with insurers some of which will refuse insurance for those caught using a mobile phone or bump up the cost quite a bit. Yet despite that there's a surprising number of people you still see regularly on their phones while driving and it's particularly worrying when they're driving in built up areas which is when you see them miss part of a roundabout or junction as they're one hand short due to it being on the phone.

John

7. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    I tell you from experience. It isn't worth paying $350 for a "talking on cell phone" ticket. Plus, I couldn't go to traffic school to have it removed from my record. DMV communists :mad:

8. JOSEA

JOSEA NONE

Reputations:
    First time you are caught the phone should be taken away, and the fine should be $1000.00 (this is for a non accident scenario).
    IF it can be proven you were on the phone and it lead to an accident, phone is taken, $5000 fine, 1 year license suspension and double any other penalty that would normally be inflicted such as jail time.

9. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    Yeah, keep it up. You know, teenage girls are the most likely to be in a cell-phone related accident. I'm just saying...:rolleyes:

10. Qing Dao

Qing Dao LORD OF THE UNDERWORLD

Reputations:
    :rolleyes: Ok there, tough guy. Let the punishment fit the crime. What do you propose happens if you run a red light, mandatory execution?

I think it should be a ticket like wearing your seatbelt or not having your lights working. A fine of $350 is completely ridiculous. Maybe knock of a zero and it will be ok.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.