What's Your Opinion on Using Cell Phones While Driving?

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by visiom88, Aug 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. talin

talin Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I'm glad that you're ok. :( It just reiterates my point that texting and talking on the phone need to be banned nationwide.

2. talin

talin Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Well guess the freak what? I almost got rear ended on my motorcycle today. I was cruising down the road on my way home, it's 40mph, but we were doing between 30 to 40 cause of traffic. Suddenly cars ahead of me came to a sudden stop, so I quickly decelerated. When I looked in my left mirror and a car looked like it was going past me on the shoulder, kicking up dust everywhere, when I realized he was swerving to avoid hitting me. :rolleyes: Some younger punk kid in his little beater with a young passenger, who obviously wasn't paying attention. :rolleyes:

3. Hellmanns

Hellmanns Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    A few years ago, I was driving on I80 east of Des Moines, which in certain parts at certain times of day, you'll see large lines of cars doing 90mph+ (I admit sometimes I'm in those lines). I had cruise set to 80 or so in the "slow" lane when I see coming up on me in the fast lane is a yellow 2006-ish GTO (6.0 :) ). Naturally, I'm watching it as it blows by me, surprised to catch a glimpse of a young blonde girl behind the wheel with her hands practically in her lap texting on her phone against the wheel. Judging by how fast she passed me, she must have been pushing 90, maybe even 100. 10 miles down the road, I saw her car plastered in a billboard 30 feet off the ground.

Ok, that last part didn't happen, but I was expecting to see something fatal that evening.

As for me, I have bluetooth built into my car, so that takes care of phone calls. Even so, I still feel vulnerable when talking even though it's mostly like talking to a passenger. I know my mind is focused on other things too, so I can't watch other drivers/pedestrians as attentively. I still try to minimize talking when driving. If the passenger is in the car, I don't feel vulnerable. Something about talking to people who aren't there just makes me nervous.
    As far as texting, the Android voice recognition works wonders. It's not faultless, but way better than pounding keys. Again, I avoid texting while driving, but if I'm on the open highway/interstate, I don't mind taking my phone out, pressing a button, and letting it type for me as I speak to it.

Bottom line, I hate seeing people messing with their phones while driving. I remember thinking when that GTO passed me, I feel sorry for her car, her parents, friends, boyfriend should anything happen while she's displaying such careless behavior.

4. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    That sounds like I-20 between Columbia and Florence ;)

Same ordeal here with seeing people texting at those speeds. It's stupid. And Bluetooth definitely helps. Personally, I don't find it too hard to concentrate on the Interstate while talking on a phone and doing those speeds (sometimes hover around 90 or higher, like everybody else). If it's a passenger and not a phone, I shut the hell up and drive (I know I'll be distracted by people in the car, since you can't hang up on them lol).

5. visiom88

visiom88 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The problem is that not so many people can manage to do that. There are people who can, but only a few.

6. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Understandably; I'm just voicing what I think of it as per the thread title is all :).

7. houstoned

houstoned Yoga Pants Connoisseur.

Reputations:
    no offense to my NBRettes, but women need to have a separate driving test...

P.S. - #YODO - You Only Die Once

8. talin

talin Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
  9. houstoned

houstoned Yoga Pants Connoisseur.

Reputations:
    ugh...i remember one time, many moons ago, i was driving down the road in my G35. mind u, this was back then and i was the first one in town with an authentic Kenstyle kit. it was a straight 3-lane wide road and everyone was just flowing at around 40MPH. i'm driving...driving...all of a sudden i see the car to my left kind of slowly drifting into my lane. surprise, surprise it's an Asian female on the phone. by then, i'm staring dead at her and she doesn't even notice me. she gets about 1-2 feet from my car so i blast my horn at her and just shake my head.

10. talin

talin Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    What I don't understand is, if women are such terrible drivers, than why are their insurance premiums typically lower? Obviously insurance companies must think they're a lower risk. Who knows. *shrug*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.