What's Your Opinion on Using Cell Phones While Driving?

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by visiom88, Aug 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    About four or five years ago, I was driving home from work one night and playing a game on my phone. Apparently, I was weaving a bit because someone called the cops and I got pulled over a few blocks from home. I won't say I'd never talk on my phone, but I'd think twice about it and would only do it if it's important. Games, text and video are out. I think I saw a study that said hands free isn't any better than holding the phone. Just last week someone almost hit me in the parking lot at work because they were on the phone and not looking.

2. talin

talin Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Did you get a citation? ;)

3. ZaZ

Reputations:
    It gets even better. At the time, I didn't have a valid license. When I moved to the town I live in now was right around the time my license expired, but because I moved, I never got the reminder in the mail. Fast forward just about a year, I thought to myself, hey my license is expired I should get it renewed. The town I live has two license bureaus, one where you get your tabs and one your license. I went to the one where you get the tabs, but they told me no you've got to the other place. When I went there it was closed. It's only open like one day a week because it's a small town. When I went back a week later my birthday had passed and since it was more than a year since my license expired, I'd have to take the written test. I always meant to go do it, but somehow never got around to it. Because I live about 20 miles from work, you don't know what I had to do get rides to work. I'm ashamed.

Yes, I had to go to court and had to pay a $180 fine. It was kind of lame. When I was in court, there was this dude they found passed out in the middle of the street right by his car, who probably put himself and others in danger by driving his car. He only paid $50, but I was a good driver for four plus years without incident and had to pay $180. It didn't seem fair. I even said that to the judge, but he didn't see things my way. There was also a woman charge with domestic violence. She was probably about 5'2" and 100 pounds, while the husband/boyfriend was like 6'3" and almost like three bills. It was kind of funny, not that I'm advocating domestic violence.

In the end it kind of worked out. I paid a small fine for indiscretion, but since it wasn't a moving violation, it didn't go on my insurance and raise my rates. Had I waited a few more months, my birthday would have passed again and I would have had to taken the driving test. The wait for the test in my town is like three plus months, but since I only had to take the written, I only had to wait a few weeks.

4. talin

talin Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
  5. ZaZ

Reputations:
    Have you?

One of my nicknames at work is fluffy. One day I was at a training meeting for work. As a way for everyone to get know each other, each person had to stand up, and say their name, department and what your dream job is. I stood up, said my name and department, and that my dream job was to be a fluffer, which is how I got the name fluffy.

6. talin

talin Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    HAHAHA!!! Not the kind of fluffer I'm thinking, is it? :D :laugh: ROFL. That's funny. I hope I didn't wake up my neighbors, lol.

7. ZaZ

Reputations:
    I told you it was a funny.

8. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    Stop trollin' us ZaZ!

9. 2.0

2.0 Former NBR Macro-Mod®

Reputations:
    About 5 years ago, I got hit by a "soccer mom" while cycling. Yes, she was on the phone and thought she could out run me and make a right turn. Critical miscalculation. I was doing ~35MPH down a slight hill. Well anyway, I went through the rear side window of her Benz SUV. My helmet cracked and hanging off my head, I just smiled and said, "hi" at the screaming kids in the back seat. The mom, the driver, says to whomever she was on the phone with after she finished screaming her lungs out, "OMG I have to go, a man just flew into the back seat of the car." A bunch of other expletives vomited out of her mouth. Womenz.

But get this... she yells at me, who's bleeding from the head and nose, that *I* shouldn't be on the road. Me.

I just looked at her SUV with no rear side window and a snarled up rear quarter panel. I was impressed with my juggernautism.

I made a good bit of coin in the settlement. Bunch of scratches and 1 slipped disc C6-C7 which has been re-injured twice since thanks to two other female drivers. I don't know what it is about woman and a man on a bike. Must be the cycling shorts. But seriously, they can simply roll up along side, honk their horn, roll down their window and ask for my number. I'm not too picky.

But texting and cell phoning while driving... don't. Knock that crap off. I'm getting too old to take anymore hits.

And that means you too, "fluffy!" :D

10. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    I don't text while driving. That's just suicide as far as I see it.

However, I have no problem talking on a phone while driving. I do tend to hold my lane, maintain speed, and use turn signals when I do so, however; I don't see why it'd be so difficult to do so when either hand is within easy reach of the turn signal stick and steering wheel and your feet *shouldn't* be affected by talking. Just keep your eyes on the road and you should be fine.

Never had issues while talking + driving, and my state has no issue with it either (though texting and driving will get you pulled over).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.