What's Your Opinion on Using Cell Phones While Driving?

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by visiom88, Aug 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tree_Burner

Tree_Burner Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I probably talk to much in the car, but I always make sure my conversations are quick, letting them know I'm driving. Generally just a "hello, what do you want, I'm driving, bye."

2. talin

talin Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Do you really think using a hands-free set makes you any less distracted? There was some debate about that in my state when they were deciding to ban talking while driving. I'm just interested in what you think about that. Do you think you'd be any more distracted on a hands-free set, than say, if someone were talking to you in the passenger seat?

3. Qing Dao

Qing Dao Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I've used my cell phone to call and text while riding my scooter, riding my bicycle, and driving my car. It is hard and very distracting. On my bicycle it was probably the hardest. On my scooter it was probably the most dangerous.

4. MidnightSun

MidnightSun Emodicon

Reputations:
    It's about the same as having a conversation with someone in the car, in my experience. I don't regularly talk on the phone, but if the situation necessitates it, I think it's fine. It does increase the risk of an accident, but there are precautions that you can take: when I'm on the phone, I usually leave a larger gap between my car and the car in front and keep my speed down.

5. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    I think it depends on the person, but of course they can't build laws like that. For instance, I could talk on my phone, eat an ice cream, sing and dance while switching radio stations and still be a better driver than one of my friends when he is doing nothing but driving. Of course I don't do all of those things at once, I usually limit it to 1 or 2 at a time. Though I don't text while driving that does take to much focus on the cellphone.

6. ajkula66

ajkula66 Courage and Consequence

Reputations:
    Two years ago I was almost killed by a car whose driver blew the red light while talking on the phone...

I've been driving for thirty years and held licenses in several different countries. Owned both LHD and RHD vehicles of various sorts.

I don't use cell phone in any way while I'm driving.

I set the radio station I'll be listening to before I pull out of the driveway.

When I feel like lighting up I pull over and have a smoke in peace. In all fairness, that's a fairly new habit that I've developed over the past five or six years. I used to smoke in the car, a lot. Not any more.

To each his/hers own but I believe that talking on the phone while driving is a bad idea. I've always felt that way and probably will for as long as I live/drive.

Texting while driving is a horrible concept in my book.

I don't expect that my two cents will change anyone's mind, but I just had to throw them in.

Stay safe, on and off the road.

7. talin

talin Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    ^ ^ WOW. I'm glad that you're ok. :( Unfortunately not everyone is so lucky. :( If people would just pay attention to what they're doing and just drive, we'd have far fewer accidents and fatalities. :rolleyes: :mad: I've actually been thinking about selling my motorcycle because I've had one too many close calls by idiotic drivers that aren't paying attention.

8. ajkula66

ajkula66 Courage and Consequence

Reputations:
    I haven't been on a motorcycle since I was 16 which was...a long time ago, let's leave it as that. The memories are still with me, very vivid, though.

I used to work with a gentleman who commuted from Philly to NYC riding his bike every day, in all types of weather, for thirty years until he ran out of luck one morning...

Nothing - apart from possibly skiing and bobsleigh - brings the excitement of sheer speed more purely than a motorcycle ride. Unfortunately, by getting on one you become an endangered species...

9. flipfire

flipfire Moderately Boss

Reputations:
    Not that its gonna happen, but I think any activity that requires using more than your ear should be prohibited whilst on driving (eg. Eating, smoking, etc.). Rolling a chunk of metal that weights over a ton at bone crushing speeds should be given undivided attention.

10. talin

talin Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    It doesn't get any more real than a body bag, that's for sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.