What's Your Opinion on Using Cell Phones While Driving?

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by visiom88, Aug 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. visiom88

visiom88 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I was at a dinner with colleagues last night, and at a moment driving etiquette was brought on topic. So I was casually sharing my thoughts on how people who are talking on their cellphones are obnoxious in their driving manner and dangerous to other drivers, only to be surprised by the people's reaction. One of them even said:

"Are you from DMV or something?"

To defend myself, I added how drivers with a cell phone stuck to their ear often can't hold their lane, drive up to speed with traffic, and fail to use turn signals, but the majority of the crowd still blabbered their opinions against me: like how they can manage the multitask and how they don't want to waste time doing nothing on their commute.

I mean, seriously? I couldn't believe myself hearing this from those who are seeking a career in treating patients. What's your take on this? I'm just hoping I'm not the crazy one...

2. talin

talin Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I totally agree with you on this, visiom. It does make them dangerous drivers, that's why it's been banned in so many states. (atleast one thing I think the states are doing right) Don't listen to those circle jerks.

3. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    Worth getting killed or killing someone else for a lol text?

4. MidnightSun

MidnightSun Emodicon

Reputations:
    I never text while driving, although I do occasionally talk on the phone using a Bluetooth headset. It's critical not to overestimate your capabilities and to realize that the priority is maintaining safe driving habits--not your conversation.

5. Greg

Greg Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Talking with a passenger isn't, in my view, any different than talking with someone one on the phone. But the fact of the matter is that when you are holding a cell phone while talking you are (1) only using one hand to control the motor vehicle which is inherently riskier considering the controls were designed with two hands in mind and (2) you are partially blocking your view ... and maybe hearing ... when the phone is up against your ear. Multitasking when driving is fine but your primary responsibility is to stay aware of the situation (don't look away for more than second) and keep control of the vehicle with both hands (so you are not bouncing around in traffic as you mentioned).

A cousin of mine always taught that to his two daughters (especially the bit about not texting while driving). The first time he broke is own rule to send a short work-related text was the first time he ever got into an accident that was entirely his fault (rear end collision, fortunately no serious injuries). He was liable for all damages and his insurance rates went up as a result. The funny part? His two daughters were in the back of the car when it all happened so they got first hand experience of the consequences of not being responsible drivers.

Your colleagues need to drive a few hours in a driving simulator, with and without cell phones, and then watch the results.

6. PatchySan

PatchySan Om Noms Kit Kat

Reputations:
    Where I live if the police catches you on the phone while driving not only you get a fine but you also get 3 penalty points on your license. One of my colleagues got caught out and regretted it, the penalty points last up to 4 years which means enduring raised insurance premiums of at least 20% (£100-£200 extra annually) for just one phone call - not really worth it.

On another note it's not just phone calls which can be distracting, another colleague of mine was involved in a collision recently because for some reason he was looking around for some fuel money off coupons while driving and didn't see the car in front stop! :rolleyes:

7. Shobster

Shobster Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    For the longest time, I've used a bluetooth headset for phone calls until I recently got my dash display for my car. My mom does talk on her cellphone while driving but I don't know how she manages to drive just as normally. I'm still cautious, though.

8. Thaenatos

Thaenatos Zero Cool

Reputations:
    Hands free? sure. Putting hands on the phone? Nope. Although I am guilty from time to time with skipping a song on pandora, I usually set it and drive.

9. booboo12

booboo12 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I really can't text and drive, so if i feel it's urgent I pull off to the side and call/text, etc.

10. tijo

tijo Sacred Blame Super Moderator

Reputations:
    In short: statistics don't lie. You can interpret them differently, but the way the stats go is that texting and talking while holding the phone is a major source of distraction. Heck, even talking to the passenger for some people is one hell of a risk. I have one friend who can't talk and drive at the same time, period. Even a bluetooth earpiece is a distraction, but you can manage that much more easily than using the phone itself and don't get me started on people using their cell and driving a manual, you can't hold the phone, the steering wheel and shift, good luck if you hit a large bump while shifting.

In quebec, it's the same as Hearst said, a rather heavy fine and some pts as well.

If my phone rings and i'm driving, i don't answer, it's as simple as that. People used to go without cell phones before and it wasn't the end of the world so why should it be different now. The call can wait, your attention on the road can't, if you know you'll need to be available when driving, get something that will allow you to go hands free.

If you want my opinion, what you witnessed was a classic case of don't tell me what i can and cannot do over common sense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.