what's the point of outlook?

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by mliu, Oct 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. j0hn00

j0hn00 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Outlook Express doesn't have any of the rich features of Outlook. Also, Outlook comes with MS Office, whereas Outlook Express comes standard with Windows.

2. myrancid

myrancid Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Use for GMAIL ;)

3. mliu

mliu Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    k i'm going ot try and set an email ccount up. but there's a step where it says:
    Internet connection wizzard: Email server names pop3, imap, http. and incoming mail w/e and outgoing mail something...what in the world do I put in those things?

4. arevee

arevee Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    what email are u going to configure with the outlook express mail client?? for Yahoo and Hotmail, u need to pay extra money to get their premium email packages to get access to a mail client. try gmail. that's free to access with outlook/outlook express/thunderbird etc.

POP3, IMAP, SMTP are all protocols used to deliver email from one server to another. whichever email u use, go to their help sites and search for POP3 access or something similar. or u can even google it!

5. jaydee

jaydee Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hotmail works with Outlook/OE for free. It's owned by M$ after all... they even have the hotmail servers as options when configuring new account

6. mliu

mliu Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    k i'm using gmail...but i don't know which kind of server it is and what to put in those two boxes...

7. jaydee

jaydee Notebook Geek

Reputations:
  8. arevee

arevee Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I am not sure about this anymore...this is a few lines from Hotmail help:

"Cannot access my free account from Outlook or Outlook Express"

To protect our users from the increasing amount of unsolicited junk e-mail or spam sent from MSN HotmailSympatico MailMicrosoft Office Live Mail accounts through Outlook and Outlook Express, we have reluctantly had to restrict the new use of Outlook and Outlook Express to subscribers.
    By making this feature part of a subscription, (which requires a user to provide billing information), we can more effectively manage and put a stop to abuse of this functionality, and help protect you and others from unsolicited mail.

If you purchase a subscription service such as MSN Hotmail Plus or MSN Premium, you get access to your account from Outlook or Outlook Express, along with many other added features. To see other benefits of upgrading your MSN HotmailSympatico MailMicrosoft Office Live Mail or MSNSympatico/MSNMicrosoft accounts or to create a new subscription account please visit our subscription information page.

9. camel_456

camel_456 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    outlooks greatm I can access both of my hotmail accounts for free (since I was using it for that before they said you had to pay) I also use it to access my Gmail AND my school email, its great and works well with the rest of office

10. jaydee

jaydee Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    interesting. I dunno when they changed that, but I guess I should have seen it coming... it is M$ so... Not to mention the lame excuse.

I hope they will limit it to the new accounts (yeah right :cool: ).
    So far, all my old hotmail accounts are still working fine with OE

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.